UM2 Concerns from a new customer

pikey

Posted · UM2 Concerns from a new customer

I recently put my order in for a UM2 after doing extensive research. I'm confident in my choice to purchase the UM2 over other 3D printers based on the data and comparison reports from all over.

Since I signed up for this community I've started pouring over others UM2 experiences. While I know that for every 100 functioning UM2 units there will be the one or two with issues which will get posted to the forums, I'm concerned that users have mentioned that the best way to setup a new unit is to go through it and make sure every screw is tightened and belts/wires aren't out of place, etc...

Since I haven't built a 3D printer in the past I chose the UM2 for its "out-of-the-box" experience. I have every intention on learning the intricacies of the UM2 and how to repair, replace, and upgrade the printer components over time. My concern is that I'll need to learn these competencies in order to get the printer functioning in the first place which would delay my ability to print.

My question to UM2 owners and the community as a whole is this:

Is the UM2 "out-of-the-box" experience worth the price premium? If I have to take this thing apart and put it back together before I can get consistent prints, then its not the "Prosumer" market contender that its claimed to be.

Side Note: Whats going on with all these damaged nozzles?

Side Note 2: Would anybody be willing to put together a guide on how to properly set the UM2 up? By that I mean, photos of which screws should be tightened, and photos of how belts should lay as well as a list of things to look out for to nip any future problems in the bud. (Example would be the screw that was milling into the side of the machine)

Links to additional examples:

If you look at any active forum for any 3D printer you'll find people who have issues and problems. People tend to use forums to sort out problems. I had a couple myself that were easily resolved. Ultimaker and a few people in the forum gave immediate assistance. One of the huge benefits of the UM forum is the wealth of experience of it's members and their willingness to help out.

As to price tag and the 'Prosumer' label. To be honest, as a hobby, its a luxury, an indulgence to own a 3D printer, but as a professional user, building models for commercial purposes, these things are cheap. Really cheap. Everything you see in the shops is made in the 100's of 1000's so £1700 buys you a pretty nice camera or a moped, a great computer etc. But for a hand made item made in low quantities £1700 doesn't buy you much. I think that all 3D printers at this end of the market are remarkably good value. I bought my first printer 12 months ago for £1000. it has saved me 10's of thousands in prototyping costs and weeks of development time (which is even more valuable).

Having said this there is definitely some mis-selling of 3D printing technology in the industry as a whole. I think the 'make anything you want' and 'just press print' type of sales pitch is very misleading. If you know nothing about 3d printing, engineering, design or materials, then its a steeper and longer learning curve. There is a craft and skill to 3D printing which has to be learnt. You can have the most expensive 3D printer out there, but a poor understanding of the process and bad design will always lead to failure.

Stick with it and you'll have a great time :D

I wouldn't worry too much, Pikey - many of the issues you have seen reported have been the result of initial teething problems with assembly and shipping. By the time your printer ships, there will be several weeks more experience, and I would expect it to be quite a bit better.

It's really not that hard to check it out; you won't need to take it apart and re-build it - just tighten the screws that you can see, and you'll be in pretty good shape. The mechanics of the printer are refined, but really quite simple. If you do have issues, there a bunch of people on here who stand ready to assist.

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I view the Ultimaker line of printers as the Honda Civic of the 3DP world. The community supporting it is a huge part of what makes UM/UM2 such a desirable product.

Haha, it is if you like aftermarket support. Its a tinkerers car, just like the Yamaha R6 is the tinkerers bike =P

You could probably build both of those from scratch with more aftermarket than OEM parts.

It's more like a 1956 chevy. Not as reliable as cars today. It may come missing the rearview mirror and a few screws. But it's damn easy to fix and the price is reasonable for what you get. I'm waiting for the day HP starts making millions of 3d printers. Every day. That's when the quality and price will totally blow away what you can get now.

Also if you need a new part in that first week you get it, I'm pretty sure UM will ship you a replacement for free (I don't know - hasn't happened to me). Hopefully though you will be in the majority with no problems that can't be fixed after some questions and answers on the forum and a half hour of your time.

I suspect you will have MUCH more time spent learning what 3d printers do well and don't do well. How to get your part to stick. How to deal with shrinkage and overhangs and how to get the best support material and the best quality and so on.

Greetings from Berkshire County, Mass gr5!

Trying to make the best of the wait by becoming well versed with the basic troubleshooting steps for the things you mentioned.