4.11 adds unknown bed start code

Ch3vr0n

Posted · 4.11 adds unknown bed start code

Below is my startcode

afbeelding.thumb.png.ffe0f62eb6a0dde9b5ba8ec3a7725756.png

Yet when slicing my startcode looks like

afbeelding.thumb.png.7a3dcc22089141c5c036f0c679b9882f.png

There's a redudant M140, an M105 and an M190 where they shouldn't be. As is visbile in screenshot 1 (i maxed out the manage printers view so everything was visible, evidence of this is the lack of a scrollbar) those 3 startcodes DO NOT exist in my configured startcode. These lines cause additional delay as it waits for the bed to heat up first to full temp before starting to pre-heat the nozzle. I have no idea where this is coming from

4.11.zip

It's because you explicitly state "M190 S70" in your start gcode instead of using a keyword.  Cura adds the bed temperature line when you do that.

If you change that line to "M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}" then Cura will stop adding it's own lines.  You could also add the "M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}" down near the M109 line if you wanted to heat the bed to 70 for leveling and then settle at a different temperature.

that cant be it because it's added a third time at line 89 in accordance with the specified startcode

afbeelding.thumb.png.84d7bb4ffcdeda025a590f52f6e1a5e2.png

Attached are 2 gcodes. the FIBO one is sliced with 4.10 same startcode, those lines aren't there

The upgrade one is sliced with 4.11.

Same startcode yet one has it, the other one doesn't.

CrealityMaxExtruderUpgrade-260_0.4N_0.2LH_0D3H49M.gcode FiBo_-_Base_-_Short_45mm_0.4N_0.2LH_1D1H13M.gcode

Posted (edited) · 4.11 adds unknown bed start code

Add the line as I stated in my previous post.  You don't have the keyword for the bed temp in your Start Gcode so Cura is adding the M140 and M190.  You will notice that Cura is NOT adding the Hot End Temp because you do have the keyword in the StartUp Gcode.

;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 4.11.0-BETA
    M82 ;absolute extrusion mode
    ; Ender 3 Custom Start G-code
    ;Here is the HotEnd temp line using the keyword
    M104 S210
    ;Here is the Bed temp line using the keyword
    M140 S50
    G92 E0 ; Reset

Notice that Cura does not add the prefix temperatures for either the hot end nor the bed.

;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 4.11.0-BETA

M140 S50
    M105
    M190 S50
    ;Here is the HotEnd temp line
    M104 S210
    ;Here is the Bed temp line commented out
    ;M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}
    M140 S70
    M190 S70

Cura doesn't acknowledge the M140 or M190 because they are explicit and my M140 with the keyword is a comment so it doesn't count either, and so the bed temperature is inserted as a prefix.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1

And as i stated i didn't have that keyword there in 4.10, yet it's not being added. I've never had that line in there. Explain that. My startcode always has been using explicit M140/M190, yet 4.10 didn't add those redundant lines and 4.11 does.

The only thing i changed manually between 4.10 and 4.11 (in light of levelling) was:

; Setting pre-levelling temperatures

M117 Pre-Heating

M104 S160 ; Set hotend temp & continue

M190 S60 ; Set bed temp & wait

to

; Setting pre-levelling temperatures

M117 Pre-Heating

M104 S160 ; Set hotend temp & continue

M190 S70 ; Set bed temp & wait

and

; Final heating & nozzle Prime

M117 Final Nozzle Heating

M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0}

M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}

to

; Final heating & nozzle Prime

M117 Final Nozzle Heating

because i noticed z-offset differences between the bed pre-heat temp of 60° and 70° so i simply increased the hardset pre-heat temp from 60 to 70, and removed the bed temp line in the final heating section as it was no longer needed.

Edited by Ch3vr0n

Thanks for helping, this one also got me real frustrated.

I tried different methods and yet still failed.

With your help I've managed to get rid of the bed temp but now nozzle temp stays, again tried different methods but could not succeed.

Could you also please help with te nozzle temperature? 

This is what I get in my g-code and want to get rid of: 

M104 S200
    M105
    M109 S200

This is what I put in start up code section of printer settings: 

G90 ; use absolute coordinates
    M83 ; extruder relative mode
    M104 S120 ; set temporary nozzle temp to prevent oozing during homing and auto bed leveling
    M190 S50
    M140 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] ; set final bed temp
    G4 S10 ; allow partial nozzle warmup
    G28 ; home all axis
    G29 ; auto bed levelling
    G1 Z50 F240
    G1 X2 Y10 F3000
    M104 S[first_layer_temperature] ; set final nozzle temp
    M190 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] ; wait for bed temp to stabilize
    M109 S[first_layer_temperature] ; wait for nozzle temp to stabilize
    G1 Z0.28 F240
    G92 E0
    G1 Y140 E10 F1500 ; prime the nozzle
    G1 X2.3 F5000
    G92 E0
    G1 Y10 E10 F1200 ; prime the nozzle
    G92 E0
    G92 E0
    G92 E0
    G1 F2700 E-5

Those keywords and the use of square brackets I believe would work with PrusaSlicer.

Cura uses the keywords I put in my previous post and curly brackets.

Install a new instance of your printer in Cura.

Copy and paste my suggested Start and End gcodes into the new printer's Machine Settings in Cura.  That will allow you to keep your current setup.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GregValiant said:

Those keywords and the use of square brackets I believe would work with PrusaSlicer.

Cura uses the keywords I put in my previous post and curly brackets.

Install a new instance of your printer in Cura.

Copy and paste my suggested Start and End gcodes into the new printer's Machine Settings in Cura.  That will allow you to keep your current setup.

Thank you for your fast and accurate answer.

That is correct I copied those from my Superslicer, reason that I'm currently switching over to Cura (even though Cura is slower to print) is because I have smaller nozzle (0.3) and Superslicer seems having trouble to select a 0.16 profile.

Here is my original Cura start code:

M140 S60
    M105
    M190 S60
    M104 S200
    M105
    M109 S200
    G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder
    G28 ; Home all axes
    G1 Z2.0 F3000 ; Move Z Axis up little to prevent scratching of Heat Bed
    G1 X0.1 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move to start position
    G1 X0.1 Y200.0 Z0.3 F1500.0 E15 ; Draw the first line
    G1 X0.4 Y200.0 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move to side a little
    G1 X0.4 Y20 Z0.3 F1500.0 E30 ; Draw the second line
    G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder
    G1 Z2.0 F3000 ; Move Z Axis up little to prevent scratching of Heat Bed
    G1 X5 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move over to prevent blob squish
    G92 E0
    G92 E0
    G1 F1500 E-6.5

No matter what I try Cura adds these in the beginning of mine generated g-code:

M140 S60
    M105
    M190 S60
    M104 S200
    M105
    M109 S200

If you don't have the Keywords in your start gcode then Cura assumes it must heat the bed and hot end to avoid cold extruding.

In that snippet - your startup gcode consists of all the lines with comments (the comments are green in your snippet).  You can see that there is no mention of temperature in there and so Cura adds the heating lines before the startup gcode goes in. 

What you have up there is the stock CR-10, Ender 3, Ender 3 Pro, Ender 5, CR6, etc., StartUp Gcode.  It is the policy of Creality to NOT heat the bed and hot end at the same time.  I think they were worried about the current draw when both were starting out cold.  I have not had a problem heating both at once.  Essentially it is used for all the Creality printers.

I have three Ender 3 Pro printers installed because I print PETG slow, and TPU very slow, and the speed settings of the purge lines needed to be adjusted.  Rather than do that every time; I just installed additional printers and each has a slightly different StartUp Gcode.  This is from my PLA version and is mostly the stock E3Pro stuff but I added the lines with the keywords.  You can see that I don't have it waiting for the bed to hit full temperature because for PLA I don't care if I start with a cool bed.  The PETG version does have an M190 because if the bed isn't hot I have adhesion problems.

;

;

M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}

G92 E0 ; Reset

G28 X Y ; Home all axes

G1 Z12.0 F3000 ; Move Z

G1 X1.0 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move

G1 X1.0 Y200.0 Z0.3 F1500.0 E15 ; Draw the first line

G1 X3.0 Y200.0 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move

G1 X3.0 Y20 Z0.3 F1500.0 E30 ; Draw the second line

G1 E28 F1800 ;retract 2mm

G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder

G1 Z12.0 F3000 ; Move Z Axis up little to prevent scratching of Heat Bed

G1 X5 Y20 Z10.3 F5000.0 ; Move over

;

;End of StartUp

;

The line you show at the end (G1 F1500 E-6.5) is always added by Cura if you are using retractions.  Since I already retract 2mm, any additional retraction kept my skirt from printing until the nozzle had traveled a bit.  I found that annoying so I added a "Search and Replace" post process and it searches for that line and replaces it with G92 E-3.0.  That works for me.  So 2mm takes up the slack and the third mm brings up the pressure in the nozzle and printing starts when it should.  That might possibly (probably) be a bit anal, but it works.

• Thanks 1

I tell you what.  Bring a model into Cura (like a calibration cube or benchy or something small).  Set Cura up the way you like and then use the "File | Save Project" command and then post the resulting 3mf file here.  A Project file contains your printer, all the Cura settings, and the model so it is a complete package.  I'll take a look at half-time in the 49ers v Packers game.

Cura allows me to run my Ender at up to 500mm/sec while printing.  The machine won't take it mnd you, but I conceivably could print that fast.  Your CR10 is bigger and the bed is heavier but print time should not be any different than with any other slicer.

I have 19 slicers installed (I should get a life!) and there is no speed problem with any of them.  

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1

14 hours ago, GregValiant said:

I tell you what.  Bring a model into Cura (like a calibration cube or benchy or something small).  Set Cura up the way you like and then use the "File | Save Project" command and then post the resulting 3mf file here.  A Project file contains your printer, all the Cura settings, and the model so it is a complete package.  I'll take a look at half-time in the 49ers v Packers game.

Cura allows me to run my Ender at up to 500mm/sec while printing.  The machine won't take it mnd you, but I conceivably could print that fast.  Your CR10 is bigger and the bed is heavier but print time should not be any different than with any other slicer.

I have 19 slicers installed (I should get a life!) and there is no speed problem with any of them.  

Thank you for your help.

I have an Ender 3 V2 and when slicing with Superslicer mostly I get a faster print time than slicing the same thing in Cura, sometime Cura takes 2 hours more compared to Superslicing. I know it has something to do with my knowledge of tweaking the Cura, but still I'm new and use this purely as hobby to print fun things for my children and friends.

Im going to try your method and let you know if it helped, thanks again for all the help.