differences between preview and gcode

killrob

Posted · differences between preview and gcode

hi all,

i've noticed that in preview Cura starts from layer 1 but in gcode starts from 0, i use a lot the "changeatZ" script that still start from 0.

The issue is this one... i want to make a change from layer 4 according to what i see in preview, but the change will start from layer 5

preview----gcode

---1-------------0

---2-------------1

---3-------------2

---4-------------3   here is were i want do the change according to preview

---5-------------4   but here is where the change will be done

you got the point?

if i want to make the change at the exact layer i want, i have to remember to subtract 1 from layer's preview.

Posted · differences between preview and gcode

"...i have to remember to subtract 1 from layer's preview"

100% correct.

This was my first request for a feature change over on GitHub and the team (or a contributor) took a look at it.  I won't rehash it here but it turned out that this is far from an easy change.  I have 17 slicers installed and as far as I can tell, most slicers start layer numbering in their gcode at 0 (the exceptions are Simplify3D which starts at 1, and PrusaSlicer which doesn't appear to number the layers and just notes the Z height(?)).  Subsequently, you can't open a PrusaSlicer or Symplify3D gcode file in Cura as it won't display correctly.

I filed it under "Know thy software".

• Like 1