Retraction problem

davideromeo

Posted · Retraction problem

Hi,

I've been having various problems with retraction lately, especially with supports. Despite disabling "limiting retractions in the media", there is no retraction in the media, and it continues to produce stringing at every level. As you can see from the photo, the retraction doesn't seem to work in the upper parts of the print either.

I recently switched to Cura, and I probably must have done something wrong in the configuration.

Can you help me?

Thanks

P_20210926_171147.jpg

Body_2.3mf

"Max Comb Distance with No Retract" = 70.  That means no retraction until a travel move is over 70mm and your part isn't that big.  Try changing it to 2mm.  I counted 1760 moves in the Z in the gcode sliced with your 70, and 7000 Z moves when changing that setting to 2mm.  A Z move results from either a retraction, a prime, or when lifting to the next layer.  I didn't actually go through the gcode and count retractions.

I don't like "Retract before outer wall" or "Retract at layer change".  The resultant primes always seem blobby with my Ender.  They have their uses but generally I avoid using either of those (or Z-hops) except in special circumstances.

Thanks for your advice, actually the problem has reduced quite a bit.

In the photo you can see that there are some filaments left, which didn't actually cause any problems, removed with a lighter in seconds. I think increasing the retraction by a little should solve it, I don't want to lower the temperature too much. However, strange that in the Cura preview the shrinkage points in the media are not displayed.

P_20210927_154902.jpg