Ultimaker 3 Extended problem after upgrade to 5.2.18 and Cura 4.11

Kimmeridgien

Posted · Ultimaker 3 Extended problem after upgrade to 5.2.18 and Cura 4.11

Now it's my turn to report that the upgrade to 5.2.18 and Cura 4.11 caused my UM 3E to fail. At my first attempted print, it complained about leveling not working properly. I restarted the same print and it printed without problem for perhaps 7 of the 10 hour gradual infill print. I was not present when the print failed with a filament volcano crater and the plate and extruder stuck at the failure point.

It could of course be HW fault but this printer has worked flawlessly for almost 4 years and failed directly after the wire internet FW upgrade. My impression is that booting 5.2.18 after the failure took a long time. I changed to the current testing FW wire internet download, which completed without error message. I then found the update file to 5.2.11 and applied it via USB without error message. It now boots in a more familiar fashion. I do not have screen garbling.

After browsing this forum, I realize that this is a long-standing problem, which means that I think I should try to find a known well-functioning FW version before wasting more time.

Am I correct to believe that 4.3.3 is the latest well-functioning FW version?

I didn't think to make a note of the FW version before going to 5.2.18, so my first step is to try to figure out what version I was upgrading from. If I remember correctly, my previous FW did a 3-point auto-leveling procedure. I don't recall it making the clicking sounds that it now makes during boot. Is this information enough for telling whether it was on FW version 4.x or 5.x?

In various threads in this forum I have found the USB update file for 5.2.11 and 5.2.18, and recovery image 4.3.3, 5.2.16 and 5.2.18. I was able to figure out the download link for the 5.2.16 update file from the 5.2.18 update and 5.2.16 recovery links. I am aware of the unofficial restoration procedure.

Is there a USB update file for 4.3.3? Could you please link to it?

Aaargh!

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 Extended problem after upgrade to 5.2.18 and Cura 4.11

The USB updates before 5.1.8 had 2 files and are incompatible with newer firmware, if you do update then do be aware that resizing of partitions happens at some point making it a lot harder to downgrade.

So here is the recovery image of 4.3.3  UM3_recovery-4.3.3.20180529.img

unbricking guide by gr5

I've been using my UM3 with 5.2.x and now 5.3.0 firmware with no problems for quite a while but I hadn't installed the 5.2.18 until a few days ago; So I would consider it quite the downgrade, that said feel free to experiment.

Edited by robinmdh

Thank you Robin,

Is it possible to receive the 5.3.0 USB update image by file as a private message? If I recover to 4.3.3 I will probably never dare to upgrade its FW again, so I might just as well give Ultimaker one final chance to get it right.

Thank you again Robin,

I'll fiddle with this the next few days and report back.

Could you please check which FW release introduced the 4-point auto-leveling?

Thanks

Niclas

Hi Robin,

The print that previously failed now completes without problem using 5.2.30 USB install and Cura 4.11. I attach a photo of the failed print in case it gives you any input to what might have caused the problem. Below are the steps that led me to the current state:

I was running on Windows 7 Pro, Cura 4.11.0 which had worked with Cura 4.10.0. In my download folder I also found 4.9.1, 4.8.0, 4.4.1, and 3.1.0.

I had just upgraded the FW to 5.2.18 via LAN cable internet. I don't know which version it was on before this. I had no problems prior to this.

On the PC I uninstalled all Cura and removed the obvious folders. Then I installed 4.10.0 and 4.11.0 (on my Win7 Pro).

The UM3E FW was changed via LAN cable internet to whatever test version was also published at the time I reported the problem. From there I upgraded to 5.2.11 via USB. When starting the printer I was prompted to update to 5.2.30 on the screen, which I by mistake started off as a LAN cable internet update. I finally installed 5.2.30 via USB.

This is the configuration that succeeded with the yet only print I have done after the problem.

There is no indication of a hardware or filament feed issue. The printer makes no disturbing sounds that could relate to wear or damage. Where I live we hardly ever have electricity issues and nothing indicates there was one during the failed print.

If we assume that problems with UM3E are not random, and judging by other posts, I would guess that somewhere along the line UM made some change in a particular Cura or FW version that they forgot to include in the dependency check. That would explain why some users are hit and not others. My hypothesis is that the upgrade version "steps" matter and the reason I provide details about my version history. But, that's just a wild guess.

Best regards

Niclas

Hang.jpg

I forgot: I also did a factory reset and XY calibration after installing 5.2.30.