Line Width Settings VS Printer Nozzle Settings

Funken1

Posted (edited) · Line Width Settings VS Printer Nozzle Settings

Hello,

I was struggeling getting Cura to slice holes with thin walls, when I set the Line Width under the Quality Settings. No matter what how thin i set the Wall Width, it would never create connections when the material width would  be below 0,4mm (I installed a 0,2mm nozzle).

It finally worked after i set the nozzle width in the printer settings to a lower value, maybe you shouldnt be able to set a lower value as your set nozle size or at least get a warning thrown.

Still i think Cura should be able to slice thinner walls when I reduce the wall thickness and not just use the printer settings, for slicing, because it printed 0.2mm lines and sliced it for that but walls below 0,4mm where still ignored. So yeah. 

I hope you get what i mean.

Edited by Funken1

Posted · Line Width Settings VS Printer Nozzle Settings

"I hope you get what I mean"

Sometimes it's difficult to describe a problem with just text.  A screenshot of your Cura Preview would be good.

If you use "File | Save Project" in Cura and then post the 3mf file here, it will contain the model, your settings, and your printer.  That makes troubleshooting much easier.  If the model is proprietary and you don't wish to post it then if you could use one that is similar and has the same problem then that will work too.

The "won't print thin walls" problem can be caused by different things.  The more information you can provide the better the chance that someone will determine what the issue is.

P2.thumb.PNG.341e35122b3e7c6826ad62602e83a0b5.PNGP1.thumb.PNG.71609b7b68a2b2d2927377df36d89ad1.PNG

Once with nozzle set to 0.2 where it did slice the walls on the holes and on the other with 0.4 it didnt but still made the line with and printed as it would have an 0.2 nozzle (just saw it says that its a calculated value and you should change it when the nozzle size dosent match) still would be nice if this would work

Posted (edited) · Line Width Settings VS Printer Nozzle Settings

It's one of those models that is just tough.  You have those really thin walls between the holes.  Consider - if you were machining that part out of metal there would be no way.  The walls would be like razor blades IF the cutter didn't tear them up when the chips hit those thin spots.

If you aren't totally locked in on the final inside diameters then you could try setting "Hole Horizontal Expansion" to a small negative number like -0.25 and see how it slices.  That will decrease the diameter of the hole by .5mm but it would slice and print much better.

Remember that the Line Width is also the index distance between two adjacent extrusions.

I don't know if this was your design intent, the distance between the holes is not consistent and so the lands between the holes is not a consistent thickness.  Looking at the area within the circle you can see it is much thinner (it doesn't look like it sliced) than the area bracketed by the arrows.

Untitled.thumb.png.0209de5ce7b4d573a49d21406669c504.png

Edited by GregValiant

Yeh the model is not consistent, when placing the "holes" i didnt think it would come down to 0,2mm.

Sadly i am fixed on the inside diameter at 18,2mm and even though those holes had 18,4mm(with 0,2mm toleranze with the 0,4mm nozzle) in diameter in the cad when i print them i didnt get close to 18mm and i dont know why, so i had to increase it to 18,6 and a thinner nozzle and now i get a perfect fit for a 18650 liion cell what has 18,1-18,2mm in diameter.

When the nozzle moves around a hole it always pulls the molten plastic towards the center and makes the diameter smaller.  It's typically what Hole Horizontal Expansion is used to fix.  Over about 30mm it isn't an issue, but on small holes the diameter can change a lot from the design diameter even though Cura's path is theoretically correct.

Does it matter if the sides of the batteries are in contact with each other?  You could go back to the design software and cut all those thin walls out.

Another option is to download and install the Arachne version of Cura (I'm sure there is a thread with a link here somewhere).  It's still being worked on by the Cura team but the Beta version is stable and it slices thin walled objects better than previous versions of Cura as it uses variable line width.