Why linear broze bushings in XY slide blocks?

tommyph1208

Posted · Why linear broze bushings in XY slide blocks?

So... I have disassembled my entire UM1 with the intention of giving it a neat Glossy White paintjob (for that all-important WAF) as well as make an E3D hotend, and possibly a heated bed, upgrade...

I did not assemble the printer myself, and so the exact parts and way they are all assembled has not become fully apparent to me before now...

During disassemble one thing that puzzled me was why exactly Ultimaker has opted for the linear bronze bushings in the XY slide blocks, rather than (linear)ball bearings as everywhere else on the printer? Seems to me that ball bearings ought to work slightly better/provide slightly less friction?

I have also wondered about that.

I thought that the bronze bushing has less play then the ball bearings (on my UM1)

That might be it... I dont know... Hoping that someone with intense knowledge of the design decisions that went into the UM1, will pick up on this thread.

Seems counter intuitive though that the extrusion head itself has ball bearings, while the XY slide blocks that its attached to has the bronze bushings? In the end they move in exactly the same way right?

Alright... See now that makes sense... So its the fast rotation of the long X and Y axis that make the bronze bushings more suitable than ball bearings... Thank you for clearing that up :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies