need some help using Cura

GaryD

Posted · need some help using Cura

I was wondering if it can be done and if so how? I opened up a zip file from thingiverse for a stealth helicopter and inside was a lot of print files which is great but what i noticed is that there are a lot of small little parts and only using one part per file which if you combined all the small files and put them on one bed and slice them all at the same time and then print them all instead one at a time would that not be allot easier and quicker in the long run, I figure that they are all put in single files like that just in case you want to change color or material individually but what if you don't and just want to slice and print them all at once the smaller sizes at least, can you combine them all onto one bed and slice only once not twenty times, if so how do you take the files from one to the other, from the file folder to Cura.  

thanks Gary

Posted · need some help using Cura

Some model files have pieces "grouped" in them.  Most STL files are single models.  Just keep opening them and bringing them in until you are comfortable with the possibility of one breaking loose from the bed and smashing the others.  Octoprint has a way to cancel a single part that fails so it gets excluded for the duration of a print.

When the parts come into Cura the program sticks them here and there and even off the build surface.  I position them myself but I think now there is an automatic positioning option in Cura.  Another option is to print them "all at once" or "one at a time".  There are more restrictions with one-at-a-time because of the possibility of crashes with the print head into a finished piece.