Cura loads off-axis...sideways...not sure how else to describe it.

qcmakerspace

Posted · Cura loads off-axis...sideways...not sure how else to describe it.

Greetings.

Sometimes when we load Cura on macOS 11.x or now 12.x it loads... sideways... or like the 'axis' of the CAD space is off the screen... not sure how else to describe the phenomenon.

The GIF attached was made from a screen recording; you can see the CAD space is off-axis. At one point I select the View the model's 3D view, and it loads the build plate way off to the right and more than halfway off the screen. I can never truly 'center' on the model or build plate; the axis is always somewhere I cannot describe.

This then causes the phenomenon where the XYZ interaction with the model's position, scale, orientation are also not directly above the XYZ icons in those settings; like, I have to move my mouse 2-3"s off the icon to "grab" the rotation arrow, for example.

Is there any way to 'reset' the software to resolve this? Please advise. many thanks.

ezgif-2-752104fc93c3.gif

Thanks for that suggestion, nallath.

However it didn't fix this. Here's another GIF, showing that option enabled, and you can see when I click the camera view icons in the bottom left of Cura, how the CAD space is recentered, such that the axis is in the top-right of the monitor, or possibly 'off' the monitor. I'm looking for a way to recenter/reset the axis so it's always in the middle of the application/screen. (This isn't a problem with the same models in other slicers, which points to a Cura 'bug'.)

TIA.

ezgif-6-db14b9ad68ae.gif

Here's a HD video showing the axis off-center.

You can see for ~50 seconds how I'm unable to locate the three axis of the model;

You can see at 0:55 how I begin "hunting" for the location of the axis on the screen;

You can see at 1:00 how I locate the model's axis in the lower-left of the screen, about 5" away from the model on my screen.

Here's the video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mG8XhSaVJEpgJC8YA

I've tried uninstalling the program; this phenomenon persists. Is there any way to "completely reset" Cura? This is driving us bonkers and we're unable to get anything done using our mouse!

Please help. Please advise.

TIA.

22 hours ago, qcmakerspace said:

Is there any way to "completely reset" Cura?

Go to Help -> Show configuration folder. Then quit Cura. Remove all the files from the configuration folder that opened, but leave the empty folder intact. Now restart Cura, and it will start with a "blank slate".

I think this happens because you have multiple displays with different "retina" scaling. You may want to try unchecking the "Restore window position on start" checkbox on the General pane of the preferences in Cura. Then restart Cura.

Posted (edited) · Cura loads off-axis...sideways...not sure how else to describe it.

OMG thank you so much @ahoeben!

Un-checking "Restore window position on start" did the trick. I looked through all the Preferences settings and that one didn't jump out at me but it makes sense. Thanks for that recommendation.

Edited by qcmakerspace
    • Like 1

The option was originally added because some Windows users with dual displays were having issues getting Cura to start once Cura was moved to the non-primary display. At the time there was a short argument that this option - though it describes what it does - doesn't describe why you would unset it and why it fixed the issue for those windows users. I am now glad I did not make the description more specific to that crash for some Windows users, since apparently it is a useful option for some MacOS users too.