Infill first layer is weird when it is only 1 layer

tim_t

Posted · Infill first layer is weird when it is only 1 layer

Hello,

When there are printed more layers partly on the first layer, Cura does print the first layer weird. For example the whole plane in the picture below should be printed, but it prints it first half, and does after that the remaining. The first layer quality is therefore very bad.

image.thumb.png.76a6e24983ef1a359b04980b73c3c02c.png

I also added a 3mf file to view what's going on. If you change the 'Bottom pattern initial layer' to 'lines', it's even worse. The whole first layer are lines, but not printed well. See the picture below.

image.thumb.png.0f7bc257588bb932d29c4ce5375943d8.png

Can someone help me with this problem? I really need only 1 layer of print on certain spaces, but it should be printed as if it is one layer, so with continuous lines (for better adhesion, better print quality and lower print time). When I add a block in which I change the settings for overlap above 0.2 mm, it does work. However I'm planning to make a model with 10 different layers. So adding this box on each 0.2 step is a lot of work, and should not be preferred in my opion. So I'm searching for an alternative solution.

Please let me know if you know a setting or some other things that are going on, or if you want more information/want me to try a certain thing. Thanks in advance!!

weird_firstlayer.3mf

The model is not watertight and so you will get some weirdness.

Your bottom layer pattern is set to Concentric but since it is only 1 layer thick, and since you asked for "1 Top Surface Skin" then Cura made most of the rectangular part "Lines" as part of a Top surface, but since the other areas are thicker they were actually a bottom layer and so are Concentric.  Cura put down the Lines first and then would go back and fill in the Concentric areas.

At least that's what I think is happening.  At any rate, if you change the Top Surface Skin = 0 I think you will see the change it makes.  Alternatively you can make both the top and bottom either Lines or Concentric.  The fact that they are different and that the outside area is 1 layer thick is affecting the print pattern.

• Thanks 1

Ah yes indeed, that was an easy fix. I indeed changed the 'top surface skin layers' to 0, and this fixed the problem.

Thank you for your helping answer!!