Pause-Resume feature?

terrypin

Posted · Pause-Resume feature?

Cura does have this functionality since ancient times...

Cura menu Extensions / Post Processing / Modify G-code. Click 'Add a script' and then select the 'Pause at height' script.

One known caveat though, the current UM2+C printer v1.5 firmware doesn't support this feature yet, this will come in a future release.

Thank you, understood. I'd not tried 'Post Processing' as I'd wrongly assumed that was irrelevant to pausing during a print.

I'm still at the novice stage so... While using Cura's excellent Preview mode, how can I determine the layer ('height') that I should use for ''Pause at height'  please?

For background, I will be trying to print white text on a black base. To postpone studying the obscure art of g-code, marlin, etc I'd like to try simply using the Pause button. So need to know roughly when to be poised to do that.

I suggest to use the automated pause function over a manual pause, you'll be sitting a long time in front of your printer. Fun to watch, but not efficient.

When you don't know the desired height, then it is easiest to set the 'Pause at height' plugin to stop at a 'layer number'.

In the Cura preview page you can use the slider on the right to browse through all layers. Both the top and bottom handle of this slider can be dragged individually to change the number of layers shown simultaneously. I often drag these handles close together so they only show 1 layer at a time. Then grab the slider in between those handles and you can view your model 1 layer at a time.
    See number 4 and 5 on this graphic: preview.jpg
    Copied from: https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011733980-The-Ultimaker-Cura-workflow-explained