Adjusting default settings in per-model menu bar

endotherm

Posted · Adjusting default settings in per-model menu bar

I'm wondering if someone could tell me a way to set my own default entries in the per-model menu bar?  By default there are seven pre-selected parameters which appear each time I want to modify my overlap, which are irrelevant to my needs.   Typically I just want infill density=100% to reinforce certain areas etc.  I know I can dismiss them by ticking the "-" button, but I can't figure out how to make that choice stick for subsequent uses of the menu item.  I couldn't find anything in settings or searching online.  I suspect I might need to edit a settings file somewhere.  Anyone with any suggestions?  Thanks.

524407600_2021-12-04@08_50_32.png.1c6700bae99d499cb9698c41523f1e45.png      ==>   729470070_2021-12-04@08_59_15.png.8c9e222dd0ad188c6006efcd84028d95.png

16 hours ago, endotherm said:

I'm wondering if someone could tell me a way to set my own default entries in the per-model menu bar?

There isn't really a way to do this. The "pre-selected" settings are fairly hardcoded into Cura.

16 hours ago, endotherm said:

By default there are seven pre-selected parameters which appear each time I want to modify my overlap, which are irrelevant to my needs.

Those default settings, which only appear when you select the "infill mesh only" option, make that option behave more like you would expect them. If you remove them, you get extra walls at the edges where the mesh intersects the main mesh. With these settings, you really only affect the infill.

Thanks, I think I follow this reasoning.  I was concerned that these values would override any of the same ones in my global settings, and would be tedious to have to copy the same values here as well.  As I understand it, these values are to prevent unnecessary walls and top/bottom layers being created, and is a good thing!  I'll try a print with and without and see if I can see the difference.

I wasn't aware this was hard-coded into the main executable.  I had previously added a plugin/addon (to do with cylindrical supports) which appeared at the bottom of this menu, leading me to believe it was modular and editable.

1 hour ago, endotherm said:

I'll try a print with and without and see if I can see the difference.

You don't have to print to see the difference. Check out the preview.

1 hour ago, endotherm said:

I had previously added a plugin/addon (to do with cylindrical supports) which appeared at the bottom of this menu, leading me to believe it was modular and editable.

It is modular and editable. You don't actually need to dig into the .exe file, but you would have to edit Python files in the Program Files/Ultimaker Cura 4.x folder, and that is a slippery slope; You would have to make those edits over and over again when you install newer versions of Cura.

Writing a "profile" system for Per Model Settings (ie: adding the ability to add sets of setting values to select from a list) has been on the back of my head for the past 6-ish years, but the problem is that the back of my head is a very busy place.

I actually meant previewing a modified model 🙂  The difference is now obvious to me.

111028520_2021-12-05@05_24_06.thumb.png.4c90ba5a7cd15f83b56ce62a1b114ac6.png613786050_2021-12-05@05_11_49.thumb.png.998e8287052d6f022c5faf8c7c3b2459.png

Not that it made a great deal of difference in my case, because it didn't upset the outer layer appearance, but I understand the need for them now.

2081563710_2021-12-05@05_32_34.png.bac3f9ac8775ad6559fefddfe4948f8e.png

Unfortunately editing Python is something I've not really needed to tackle, aside from the odd case where someone held your hand and stepped you through changes.  I'm happy to leave it on the to-do list.  Now that I understand why they were there in the first place makes it very low on my priorities now.  I wish I had seen the theme that all the settings were for walls and thicknesses of roofs, maybe the penny would have dropped earlier. 

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Found my way here looking for an answer to not having to re-add a specific setting each time I make custom overlaps. In my case, I often change the Infill Density of a support blocker to make certain parts of the model stronger.

Anyways, based on @ahoeben's hint about Python files, I figured it out.

• Go to the plugins folder in your Cura install directory.
    • Navigate to the folder: PerObjectSettingsTool
    • Create a backup of the file: PerObjectSettingsTool.py
    • Open the file for edit in notepad (or any text editor).
    • Look for the specialized_settings array section.
    • Change the list of settings there that you wish to hide or display.
    • Set default values as desired (the part after the colon 🙂
    • Re-open Cura and check it out!