UM2 filament sensor

McElsen

Posted · UM2 filament sensor

Hiya

Can you attach a filament sensor to a UM2 printer?   I see many type of sensors on the market (or self-made ones) but wonder if you can connect it to the main board and if so, do I need to change settings in the firmware?

Many thanks!

Jan

Posted · UM2 filament sensor

It has been done by foehnsturm.  A community member.  It's not a simple process but I did it.  I got it working and then removed it.  But it did work pretty well.  You will have to 3d print a mold for the silicone wheel and buy the sensor and connect it up.  It's not too bad but will take a few days.  The frimware is pretty good.

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/22632-flow-sensor-for-the-um2-and-even-perhaps-for-the-um3-call-for-pilot-users/

It has not taken off.  It's just not useful enough I suppose?  Maybe not dependable enough for all filaments?

For me mostly I converted that UM2 to use a redeem controller.  And my 3 um2go's - well the filament comes in at a steep angle and I don't think the filament sensor would work well in a UM2go unless the filament was on the floor.

And I don't do long prints.  Most of my prints are 30 to 120 minutes.