Weird defect on one side of my benchy

th31nfamous

Posted · Weird defect on one side of my benchy

Hey guys, i just printed a benchy to test my printer and  i got this weird line on only one side of the hull... i reprinted another one and the defect is exactly the same.. just like if the STL was made with that strange line.. not sure what could cause this.. I get random lines like this occasionally on some of my print and can't find the reason

Using Cura 4.11 with a stock Ender 3v2

Thanks!

1.jpg

2.jpg

It is the Z seam that marks where the outer wall extrusion starts and ends.  You can move it, you can try to hide it, but there is always a Z seam.  If your graphics card is up to it then the Z seam is a white line down the preview.

To the right of the settings search box is the settings visibility control.  Click on it and set visibility to "All".

At the bottom of the "Wall" settings you will see Z seam alignment.  Try User Specified and then pick a location that is a corner of the boat's transom and then chose Smart Hiding.  Set the Outer Wall Wipe Distance to .1. 

For round objects I find it best to leave it in a line rather than using random which leaves (what looks like) little blobs all over.

• Like 1

Thanks Greg for the answer .. really appreciated

When i slice the STL and i go to preview, i don't see any white line on it.. i don't see either the play button that can simulate the print .. i have the layer scroll bar so i can see each of them individually but  that's it

As for the Z seam alignment setting it was already set at User Specified but can't see where 

the location is and it was already set at smart hiding..

So the only thing i've changed is the outer wall wipe distance to .1 and reprinted the benchy but result was the same as my 2 others

Thx again for your help.

Posted (edited) · Weird defect on one side of my benchy

Cura currently requires OpenGL 4.1 to use the full fancy preview.  If you just have 2D flat lines instead of 3D tubes in the preview then you are in Compatibility mode.  You might be able to change it using the Preferences | Viewport Behavior | Force Compatibility Mode option.  You might have to update your video drivers though.  My laptop is beyond help and I'm stuck with the 2D version.

In the 2D view - if you turn on the "Travels" option in the Linetypes dialog you should be able to pick out the Z seam location as your wipe travel moves should be in a vertical line.

I use Ahoeben's GUI plugin for the interface so mine might look a bit different than yours.

Untitled.thumb.png.d9d38b52cdf9be19affa599fed5de6a9.png

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1