Cura unable to slice please review settings and check if your models fit within the build volume are assigned to an enabled extruder are not all set as modifier meshes

Posted · Cura unable to slice please review settings and check if your models fit within the build volume are assigned to an enabled extruder are not all set as modifier meshes

My Tenlog Hands 2 dual independent extruder 3d printer has a faulty extruder 1, so I want to try printing with only extruder 2 and I disabled extruder 1. However, now I get the following error message in Cura 4.11.0 on my MacBook Air running MacOS Big Sur 11.5.2:

Unable to slice

Please review settings and check if your models:

- Fit within the build volume

- Are assigned to an enabled extruder

- Are not all set as modifier meshes

1. The model definitely fits well within the build volume, as it is only about 10cm x 8 cm x 5 cm and the build volume is over double that in every direction and there are no outlying or widely spaced structures.

2. How do I assign or unassign a model to an extruder? I don't recall having assigned the model to any extruder, but with extruder 1 enabled, it slices and with it disabled and extruder 2 enabled, it won't slice.

3. AFAIK, I never set anything in my model as modifier meshes.

Both extruders are set to use generic PLA and the printer ran with PLA on 1 and PVA on 2 before the failure. Extruder 1 goes through the motions, but can't actually feed filament into the bowden tube, although it does try. Its internal LED doesn't even come on, so clearly something is wrong with it.

Yes, I should fix the failure, but here in Alaska, parts often take a week extra to get, I need to print today, my other printers are too small for this model and nobody else in town is doing 3-D printing commercially, as far as the local filament wholesaler/retailer knows.

MultiSmartPhoneDesktopRack2.stl

I've uploaded my project file for review.

Any assistance in getting this one printing on only extruder 2 would be greatly appreciated.

Posted · Cura unable to slice please review settings and check if your models fit within the build volume are assigned to an enabled extruder are not all set as modifier meshes

With your model selected in Cura - look to the lower left of the Prepare screen and you should see a circled (1) and a circled (2) indicating the extruders.  Select (2).

In this image I have disabled Extruder 1 AFTER bringing the model into Cura.  So the model is now set to a disabled Extruder.  The funky cross-hatch pattern on the part indicates it won't slice.  Selecting the circled 2 on the left will set the model to extruder 2.

Untitled.thumb.png.bba4691bf9900c491428d93d3a8edb3c.png

• 1 year later...

Wow.  Is that ever a mess.

There are 258 separate meshes assembled to make up the 4 wheels.  The lug nuts are full of flipped normals.

In it's current form that "assembly" is not repairable (I tried) and consequently it isn't printable.

If you want to print those you will need to jump through some hoops.

• Load the Mesh Tools plugin from the MarketPlace.  You will have to restart Cura after loading it.  
    • Load your model and select it.
    • Right click and the top command will be Mesh Tools.  One of the tools is "Split Models into Parts".  Do that.
    • Piece by piece delete one of the rear wheel assemblies.
    • Piece by piece delete one of the front wheel assemblies.
    • Right click and choose "Select all models".
    • Cross your fingers.
    • Right click again and choose "Merge Models".  If it works the model may jump off screen.  Select "Select all Models" and manually set the XYZ location so it's back on the build plate.

If that worked (it did on a single front wheel) then go to the Mesh Fixes settings and enable "Remove all Holes".  Hopefully it will slice.  This is without touching up the settings.  It still needs a lot of work.

image.thumb.png.019f942d0b4bb4e55b1ca1b84e73144e.png

8 hours ago, GregValiant said:

go to the Mesh Fixes settings and enable "Remove all Holes".  Hopefully it will slice. 

Remember to turn off this setting when you are done with this print. It is not a setting to leave on generally.

YIKES!! Thank you so much for all the help and info. I will begin to fix this (or try to!)

Does it matter if the wheels are still standing up or should they be laying flat?

Once you get down to the single assemblies you will be able to print them in whatever orientation you want.

When I sliced that front wheel I see that there is Support structure within the interior of the wheel, but not everywhere.  That is odd.  Since I had turned on "Remove all Holes" (yes, you have to remember to turn it off) there must still be gaps in the model.

That's a tough project and will take a long time to print.  That single front wheel was over 9 hours.

Hi everyone, new around here, and have spent probably an hour researching an issue I'm having that's related to this post.  I originally had a solid model, but it was taking way too long to print, so I tried to hollow out my model by building it from individual shapes instead of starting from one larger shape that was solid.  I have a feeling I've introduced an issue with overlapping sides.  I'm getting the same error as the original post.  Would someone be willing to take a look at this file and give me some guidance?  I'm totally stuck w/out going back to the solid model, which I'd prefer not do.

CE3E3V2_Truck Cup Holder - Hollow - 200 MM.3mf

Click on the model in Cura and then select "Per Model Settings" and set the model to "Normal Model".  Right now it's the only thing on the build plate and you have it set to "Modify Settings for Overlaps".

Cura is looking at the build plate and the only thing it sees is a Modifier Mesh with no model.

image.thumb.png.7cb5acfbaec5bd99152f26d35ebf1b1e.png

As a Normal Model it looks like this and will slice:

image.thumb.png.343cacef55f47d67ccb4956c857bddfd.png

One more setting must be off on my side, but this is super helpful!  

I was playing with the overlap settings because of an error I was originally getting led me to believe it was a problem with the overlaps.

I noticed your base plate doesn't have the same boundaries set as mine.  Could it also be that I need to scale the size down further?  I originally planned on 225 MM, but it didn't like that.  Anything else here jumping off the page at you?

image.thumb.png.317333990540d4dca884a12428aa3652.png

Posted (edited) · Cura unable to slice please review settings and check if your models fit within the build volume are assigned to an enabled extruder are not all set as modifier meshes

Build plate adhesion.

The Ender 3 definition file has "disallowed areas" at the front and rear of the build plate to miss the clips that hold the build surface.  Those are the dark borders.

The light gray borders are the area that will be taken up by the skirt/brim/raft.  When you have a big flat model like that the nozzle really only needs 1 lap of skirt to get flowing.

So change the "Skirt Line Count" to 1, and change the "Skirt Distance" to 2 or 3.  If it still doesn't slice you will need to rotate the model 90° because the Disallowed Areas are only in the front and rear meaning you have more room side to side.

An alternative is to use the Ender 3 Pro definition as it doesn't have the disallowed areas.  That's why my printer (which is in fact an Ender 3 Pro) doesn't have the disallowed areas.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1

Oh my gosh!  It worked!  I had been trying to switch to the Ender 3 Pro, but that wasn't working either for some reason.  I tried your suggestion of rotating 90 degrees, and no problem!  Wow, thank you so much for the help.

Hey, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

When you start getting comfortable with Cura you can go to the definitions folder and open up your definition file in a text editor like MS Notepad and take a look.  It's something you're going to want to know how do to later on.  I've customized my definition file for things like the Skirt Height which I much prefer at "1" rather than the default of "3".  You could remove the disallowed areas if you are brave.  Be careful because if there is a typo then Cura won't load the file and the horrible "Your setup is corrupt - do you want to reset" comes up and you can wipe out all your printers, profiles, and other personal touches.