No outer walls

Reddley

Posted · No outer walls
9 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

With that model loaded and set up for a slice use the "File | Save Project" command and post the 3mf file here.

Something is going on at the root of the gear teeth at what looks to be the 9:00 position also.

Here's another model with the same issue

Lego Beam Test.3mf

Posted · No outer walls
    38 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

With that model loaded and set up for a slice use the "File | Save Project" command and post the 3mf file here.

Something is going on at the root of the gear teeth at what looks to be the 9:00 position also.

Oh, and the Gear at the 9:00 position has a "cutout" due to a Tinkercad glitch in the gear generator. I've never been able to get it to make a perfect circle in the gear core but once printed there are no imbalance or shape issues.

Posted · No outer walls
    3 hours ago, GregValiant said:

Hey Greg, I accidentally discovered what the cause was but I'm not sure why.

When I switched from line width 0.3 back to 0.4 like my nozzle it fixed it. It's a bit odd it would do that considering its ok to slightly lower line width by 60% on occasion right?

image.thumb.png.c98036ac2c66a3930ba4f9097d549d67.png

Posted · No outer walls

The Lego Beam Test 3mf file has an Outer Wall Inset of 0.3.  I think that coupled with the .3 line width is what is hiding the outer wall.  You can see a little bit of outer wall in the gear but essentially, the outer wall is there but it's line-to-line with the outermost inner wall.  I hope that makes sense.

One of the Ultimaker Engineering profiles uses a .35 line width and a .4 nozzle.  I seem to recall that is for higher accuracy.  If I need to go smaller than .35 then I move to a smaller nozzle.  There is a point where the flow through the nozzle falls off to "not enough" and affects the prints whether we can see it in the preview or not.

I've tried to show the effect of the Outer Wall Inset here in your last image.  You can see that the outer + inner is about equal to one of the skin extrusions.

Untitled.png

• Like 1

Posted · No outer walls
    7 hours ago, GregValiant said:

The Lego Beam Test 3mf file has an Outer Wall Inset of 0.3.  I think that coupled with the .3 line width is what is hiding the outer wall.  You can see a little bit of outer wall in the gear but essentially, the outer wall is there but it's line-to-line with the outermost inner wall.  I hope that makes sense.

One of the Ultimaker Engineering profiles uses a .35 line width and a .4 nozzle.  I seem to recall that is for higher accuracy.  If I need to go smaller than .35 then I move to a smaller nozzle.  There is a point where the flow through the nozzle falls off to "not enough" and affects the prints whether we can see it in the preview or not.

I've tried to show the effect of the Outer Wall Inset here in your last image.  You can see that the outer + inner is about equal to one of the skin extrusions.

Untitled.png

Thank you for your help, I never would have noticed the inset, I set it to that for my 0.6mm nozzle but forgot to lower it accordingly. What would you suggest I set it to for 0.4mm nozzle, 0.2? 

Posted · No outer walls
    40 minutes ago, Reddley said:

Thank you for your help, I never would have noticed the inset, I set it to that for my 0.6mm nozzle but forgot to lower it accordingly. What would you suggest I set it to for 0.4mm nozzle, 0.2? 

Oh and if you could, is there a way to remove these gaps between the hole inner wall and bigger hole outer wall? Only certain parts like to do that and I haven't found a way around it.

image.thumb.png.e829e7f543fdb52cac6c28f0ed769d90.png

Lego Beam Test.3mf

Posted · No outer walls

Regarding the Outer Wall Inset - are you having dimensional problems?  If you aren't then just leave it at "0".

Gaps in the preview can be caused by Coasting as the preview only shows moves with extrusion and the coast distance doesn't have any extrusion.

What looks like gaps but is actually white is probably the Z seam.  My old laptop doesn't support the high end graphics and so mine never shows that.  Round features can't hide the Z seam.

Posted · No outer walls
    On 12/22/2021 at 12:58 PM, GregValiant said:

Regarding the Outer Wall Inset - are you having dimensional problems?  If you aren't then just leave it at "0".

Gaps in the preview can be caused by Coasting as the preview only shows moves with extrusion and the coast distance doesn't have any extrusion.

What looks like gaps but is actually white is probably the Z seam.  My old laptop doesn't support the high end graphics and so mine never shows that.  Round features can't hide the Z seam.

I got my dimensions nailed down now. However, to print very precise objects I had to tune the horizontal expansion settings to get them just right. Also, the gap the slicer was displaying doesn't seem happen in real life and the parts are printing very nicely.

Thank you for your help and have a merry Christmas!

Parts.png