Inner wall is triangulated in Cura

amitmonash

Posted · Inner wall is triangulated in Cura

Hi,

I am strugling to identify the issue here.

My Fusion 360 model looks smooth, however when I import it in Cura, I see the vrtical wall segments.

I have reduced the maximum resolution which has worked in my previous projects but they were small as comared to this one.

From my experience, if you see any defect in cura slicing (preview) mode, it will most definately appear in final print as well.

I have added my test model here. If anyone has come across this before, please share your experience.

Thanks,

Amit

wall-segments-cura.thumb.PNG.1673003a537f0d3b6af6a5144ea0a25f.PNGwall-smooth-fusion360.thumb.PNG.05d0c8e20bb7fa751f1477cb182b1c59.PNG

test-ring.3mf

• 3 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · Inner wall is triangulated in Cura

When you create the model file (STL, 3mf, whatever) the resolution settings of the export utility dictates the resolution of the model file.

The green ring in this image is your model.  You can see how coarse the triangles are.  The red model has a much finer resolution and you can see that the triangles are much smaller.  When Cura slices it is dealing with the triangles and so the facets on your ring would be much larger than the facets on the red model.

This is a screenshot from MS 3D Builder.  That software has a utility to reduce resolution but it cannot increase resolution.  That's a function of the export utility.

Untitled.thumb.png.00dd9e66a052f0f1aad5f0f95826170a.png

Edited by GregValiant

• 5 weeks later...

That red model is from my old Mechanical Desktop (Inventors grandfather).  The "FACETRES" variable controls the resolution of the STL output file in that particular software which is also an AutoDesk product.

You are absolutely right Greg, changing the export resolution in Fusion 360 made a difference.

As you can see in image below, upper ring has high resolution export and hence smaller segments.

image.thumb.png.754ffbfc11bc697e00f414e58bb7034c.png

Setting that up in Fusion 360 is a bit tricky, but it is possible as per the post below, you have to export them individually:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/export-stls-at-high-resolution/m-p/8920328#M193852

Posted (edited) · Inner wall is triangulated in Cura

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.  

You can see that the smaller the triangles are, the better the print will look.  There is a fall-off point where a model can be too fine and the resultant slicing will produce a bazillion short line segments.  The Mesh Fixes resolution settings can make a difference when that occurs.  I have an Ender 3 Pro and I have the resolutions set at .4.  I might be able to tweak that, but there is a point at which it just doesn't matter.

These are the best resolution my old AutoCad can produce.  You can see the faceting but it's really not bad.  The beer bottle (for my Halloween costume) is the red model in that first image I posted.  The larger diameter of the bottle means it has larger facets than does the cigar.  They were both exported from CAD at the same resolution.

The silver IPod mount bracket has a very twisted "Loft" feature and it came out quite well (if I do say so myself - and I do).

DSCN2802.thumb.JPG.a85a8f3448030ea72158d484762b43c4.JPG

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1

You are a legend and a very helpful person.

I have sure tried using Cura resolution before which helps smoothing small parts, however this one was new to me.

Your beer bottle looks full, don't keep it open for too long ;) 

• Like 1