Problem with Cura Printer Profile

Posted · Problem with Cura Printer Profile

Guys I have been running 2 Ender 3 pros for about a year and a half and they run great with Cura.  Here is my problem I purchased a second hand Tenlog hands 2 dual extrusion printer, I have it set up and have done a couple of test prints with it, but my issue is there is not a Tenlog profile anymore in the newer versions of Cura.  I have to run Cura 4.4 on a separate computer, and 4.4 is way outdated.  Is there anyway of getting it set up on Cura 4.12.1 or am I stuck with doing it on a separate computer.  Thank you in advance for any help you can give on this.  

Posted (edited) · Problem with Cura Printer Profile

Since it's one of those "other" printers I'll take a shot at this (although I may be mistaken on some points).

I don't have 4.4 loaded but on Windows the printer definition files can generally be found in three folders under the "...Program Files\Ultimaker Cura x.x.x\resources" folder.

The actual definition file(s) will be in the "definitions" folder.  There may be a base definition file as well as a specific definition file for the printer.  Example:  "creality_ender3pro.def.json" inherits "creality_base.def.json".

The extruder files will be in "extruders".  You should have two extruder files for a dual machine.

If the printer is defined as "having variants" then the nozzles will be in the "variants" folder.  There would be a nozzle file for each size of nozzle.

You can copy the pertinent files from the 4.4 folders to the same folders in the newer version of Cura.  The Tenlog should show up in the "Add Printer" dialog.

If you originally set up the Tenlog as a Custom FFF printer then you would have to alter some definition files and maybe create some others.  It's a bit tedious but certainly isn't difficult to add an extruder to a definition file.  It's what I have done to create multi-extruder machines when folks come here with problems on machines they have customized beyond what the stock definition can handle.  For the most part you add "overrides" to the definition file Extruder Trains and maybe copy an extruder file while making a couple of changes within the file regarding the extruder number and name.

If you do make adjustments or add any definition files they will not be part of any newer version of Cura.  You would need to copy and paste them in again.  I keep copies of my custom definition files in a folder of my own and when I update Cura I copy and paste them over.  It works for me.

An alternative is to use a different Dual Extruder printer definition that is close to the Tenlog and then alter the machine settings so they work.

Edited by GregValiant