Pause at height not working

knownchild

Posted · Pause at height not working

When using the latest Cura 4.13.0 and i have tried the revision before that, it resumes at the wrong Z level, like it's printing a layer above where it should be and doesn't touch the part just oozes out above it. Does this on every model.

Using Ender 3 v2 and Voxelab aquila's

Pause at Height doesn't work when set to "Height" if there are Z-hops in the file.  Your print is  likely re-starting at the height + a Z-hop height.

It is also difficult to use by "Height" when "Adaptive Layers" is enabled as it's difficult to predict what Z value to search for.

PauseAtHeight works fine when set to "Layer Number".  Remember that layer numbering in the gcode is with Base 0 and layer numbering in Cura is Base 1.  The layer number you enter will print and then the pause will occur.  So if you see in the Preview that you want to pause at the start of layer 200 then you would enter 199 into the PauseAtHeight layer # box.

Posted (edited) · Pause at height not working

I am using layer number with no zhop and no adaptive layers. I looked at the g code it makes and if you pause at a layer let's say layer number 12 which is 3 mm it will resume at 3 mm + a layer number. So for instance my layer height is 0.25 if I pause at 3 mm with layer numbers it will resume one full layer above the print. After manually adjusting this code to resume at the correct height it resumes fine. Whoever coded these pauses made a mistake as it resumes one full layer height above where it should.

I am using two voxeLab aguila's, one ender three V2 and a JG maker artist d.

Edited by knownchild

I've never had a problem with that and I've used it a lot.  Post one of those "bad" gcode files that you have not modified.  Posting a project file might be good too.

In your example - if you enter 12 into the layer box in Pause At Height then the print will pause at the end of gcode layer 11 which printed at Z=3.00 and should resume at gcode layer 12 at Z=3.25.  This is the Cliff Note version and I have removed all but the Z moves.

;MESH:NONMESH
    G0 F1200 X115.103 Y123.188 Z3.25 ;Here the Z moves the print height from layer 11 to layer 12 print height and is not modified by the plugin.
    ;TYPE:CUSTOM ;the start of the plugin code
    ;current layer: 12
    G1 F300 Z4.25 ; move up a millimeter to get out of the way
    M0 ; Do the actual pause
    G1 F300 Z3.25 ; move back down to resume height
    ;LAYER:12
    ;TYPE:SUPPORT
    G1 F2100 E465.31688
    G1 F3000 X102.878 Y101.681 E465.36044

So with what I see there - gcode layer 11 ends at Z=3.00, the pause occurs, and printing restarts with gcode layer 12 at Z=3.25.  That is how it should be.  Are you saying that your Pause At Height would resume with layer 12 at 3.50?  If that were to occur then layer 13 would smash layer 12.

Edited by GregValiant

Here is a snippet of your modified Gcode.  Layer 59 has finished printing at Z=15.00 and then...

G0 F300 X107.454 Y110.011 Z15.25 Move up to the Layer 60 print height (this line is unmodified by the plugin)
    ;TYPE:CUSTOM
    ;added code by post processing
    ;script: PauseAtHeight.py
    ;current layer: 60
    G1 F300 Z16.25 ; move up a millimeter to get out of the way
    G1 F9000 X190 Y190
    M104 S220 ; standby temperature
    M117 Paused
    m300
    M0 ; Do the actual pause
    m300
    M109 S225 ; resume temperature
    G1 F9000 X107.085 Y111.138
    G1 F300 Z14.75 ; move back down to resume height This is the line you altered.  You are setting the Z to where layer 58 printed.

So a synopsis of the Z as you have altered it is:

Layer 58 Z=14.75

Layer 59 Z=15.00

Pause

Layer 60 Z=14.75 (this is the one you have altered)

Layer 61 Z=15.50

Layer 62 Z=15.75

The Z as Pause At Height coded goes:

Layer 58 Z=14.75

Layer 59 Z=15.00

Pause

Layer 60 Z=15.25

Layer 61 Z=15.50

Layer 62 Z=15.75

The "Unmodified" Gcode looks correct to me where your modified Gcode is printing layer 60 BELOW layer 59 and then when layer 61 starts the gcode kicks the Z up to 15.5 leaving a .75mm gap in the Z.

So I think it's apparent that something else is going on.  If you open your modified gcode in Cura you will see the gap in the layering.

i am also having this issue with the pause at layer script.....i have no idea how to modify G code...all i know is, i  used this script all the time for changing filament colour with no issue.....now every time i use it the nozzle lowers and hits my print leaving a big gouge in my print, and destroys the probe on my BLtouch as it drags on the print...

please fix this as it it clearly a software bug......

@ian_clyde Post one of the bad gcode files.  As I said above, the Gcode as generated by the plugin looks good.  I've stared at it, and imported the gcode into AutoCad, and looked at the plugin code, and I've used it myself up to 7 times in a single print.  It all looks good.

When @knownchild altered that particular gcode file - THAT's what shouldn't have worked.  So post one of your gcode files.  The printer is supposed to go where it's told so either it's being told to go to the wrong height (a Cura bug), or for some reason it decided to go somewhere else (a bug, but not a Cura bug).

Okay so i did some further testing, seems like its the firmware on the machines causing the issue.

Ender 3 stock firmware doesn't like M0 command, but likes M25.

Stock voxelab aquila likes m0 and m25

Custom firmware for these machines seems to be causing the height issue i was having with the pause.

I have reverted back to stock firmware.

JG maker artist d works with pause as well.

Super frustrating as i have messed up a good bit of prints figuring all this out.

When Creality decided to fork their firmware away from Marlin for the 4.2 series boards then whoever compiled it made a hash of the support for the TFT style LED's.  That meant that any command that sent a message to the LCD no longer worked.  M0, M1 and M117 were the notable problem children.

G4 (the wait command) can be used as a workaround as if the others don't work but it's clumsy because you have to be standing there when it pauses since G4 makes it a timed event rather than waiting for the user to resume.  I think the newer firmware also dropped G2/G3 commands and so the ArcWelder plugin doesn't work on some machines either.

I did more testing as my results varied print to print. Seems it's purely an issue with my voxeLab Aquila machines specifically. And the ender three likes m25 instead of m0.

I'm thinking the voxelab's have a z height stepper issue that only shows itself at taller heights.

I printed very short small objects for testing but when I switched to taller objects the pause issues shows  itself a lot more.

I know it's with the machine itself because it does it even if I do a manual pause and continue.

Edited by knownchild

@knownchild - my guess would be a problem with the Z as it rises.  The Voxelab looks like a straight clone of an Ender 3 Pro and it might be that the X beam is getting cocked when it rises and then comes back down to a height.  Another issue can be that the "fit" of the X beam assembly between the two Z uprights is getting tighter as it rises.  This can be because the two Z uprights aren't quite parallel, or there is a problem with the right side wheel assembly not being exactly in line, or the X beam attachment screws on the left end aren't tight (which is a PITA).  At any rate, if the X beam gets out of square during moves, or one end doesn't drop exactly the same after a Z-Hop or Z move (like Pause at Height creates), or gravity is unable to overcome any stiction in the Z (can't take out the backlash) then there will be problems.

If the X beam is square to the left upright and there is no up/down wiggle on the right end then:

• With the X beam down at Z=0, loosen the two screws that hold the top frame 20x20 crossmember onto the right Z upright.
    • Push the X beam up to Z=240 or so.
    • Tighten those two top screws of the cross member.

That will ensure parallelism between the two uprights.