"add machine prefix to job name" not working for Ender 3 v2

oredith

Posted · "add machine prefix to job name" not working for Ender 3 v2

I really like the option for Cura to automatically add machine prefix to job name, especially if I'm slicing many parts of a print to be printed on multiple machines to cut down on the time, and each of the machines need different profiles. 

my problem is that I have an ender 3 pro and an ender 3 v2 - Cura does not have a profile for E3v2 right now, so every writeup directs us to simply use the E3pro profile and rename the printer to indicate that it's V2. 

this works for everything except the auto name append, which seems to be locked to the origin of the printer, rather than the selected name. 

files sliced for the E3pro correctly named to CE3pro_[filename], however
flies slided for the E3v2 incorrectly names it to CE3pro_[filename] also. 

any suggestions to circumvent this and have it work properly automatically, without having to type it in manually? 

Maybe.  Typing is still involved.

Way down in the left lower corner of the workspace is the box to edit the project name.

Untitled3.thumb.png.ed6719d48faff630a0811d0c5763a39d.png

In order to have it "automatic" you would need to use a different definition file (or create one which is a pain).  You could alter the Ender 3 definition file as it is almost identical to the E3Pro.  The only real difference is in the space on the build plate that is reserved for the glass clips.  If you open the C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.x.x\resources\definitions\creality_ender3.def.json file in a text editor you can delete the override for "machine_disallowed_areas".  Here is the file and the relevant lines in Notepad.  I would make a backup copy first.  Using this definition for your V2 will result in the project name prefix being "CE3" instead of "CE3PRO".  The downside is that when you upgrade to a newer Cura version the new version will have the disallowed areas again.  You would need to copy your altered file and paste it in.

Untitled4.thumb.png.b876aeab42139cd6059b56ce789b1568.png

The "Custom Printjob Naming" plugin in the Marketplace will let you set the prefix (and a postfix) for each printer, without changing any definition files. It will also let you do more, like adding things like the layer height, material, date.

So my work-around is really a long, long way around.

OK @ahoeben, I do have a feature request.

This site (https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/plugins?page=1) appears to be a (complete?) collection of the contents of the marketplace with links to full descriptions of each plugin.  Could a link to the site (or one that is always kept updated) be added to the "Extensions" menu in Cura?  Unlike the MarketPlace, the site loads quickly.  It would be informative even if the plugins could not be added unless the MarketPlace was accessed.

(I ask because it is at least slightly embarrassing to be caught with my pants down like this.)

• Like 1

While your pants are already down, there's already such a link in the "app switcher" in the top-right of the Cura application (like there is on this forum). The "matrix of 9 dots".

The marketplace dialog in Cura is being replaced by something that should be less of a drag to open for the next version after Cura 4.13.

• Like 1

Thank you for that @ahoeben.  This just keeps getting better and better.

In my (weak) defense I will say that I have never been a fan of the "just push all the buttons" method of computing that my spouse espouses.  When hovering the mouse over that icon is there supposed to be a tooltip?  I don't see one.

Maybe I should ask Nallath if it's a bug.  I suppose there's no reason why he can't join the "Beat on Poor Greg Party" this morning.

I gotta get a new belt.  Maybe suspenders too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

I will say that I have never been a fan of the "just push all the buttons" method of computing

Neither am I. I think it was introduced as an "Ultimaker-wide" UI element that you are supposed to recognize. I don't use it much (if at all).