Modifying the infill pattern generation

nz3dtinker

Posted · Modifying the infill pattern generation

I'm using Cura 4.6.2 at present and wonder if it is possible to modify the infill generation. Some models I make are basically a 1.8mm plate with something on top. Normally Cura generates an infill that is reflective of what ever is on top.

infill1.png.9463f1fd79a9e12c90a49d528874db7b.png

Even with 100% infill the infill does look funny:

infill2.png.e3f49302c5d9bc166b3db423cf0689ab.png

Ideally what I would like to achieve is an infill pattern, that does not take 'note' of what is on top like this (even if I set the infill to something less than 100%!):

infill3.png.e5f852cf3f9a271d9aaa779c74b934ea.png

I know why Cura is doing what it is doing, but in this case, i would like to use a 'modifier' that tells it to not look ahead and simply fill each level on it's own. I have a solution of sorts, but it involves a convoluted process of making two models, slicing them separately and then joining the gcode with the help of a program I wrote. I hope there is a way to eliminate the extra steps?

Posted · Modifying the infill pattern generation

I had that issue with some drink coasters I was printing.  I did end up with two separate models but not two gcode files.

These are fairly fancy for a single extruder printer.  There was no need to splice gcode files together.  I did change filament  lot.

DSCN2660.thumb.JPG.16e961575b64fbef742c9f6eaab04576.JPG

These are just a base model and the top model with the words and rings.

DSCN2717.thumb.JPG.faf7cbac1e6c035cc0c5ca7f1195ceb1.JPG

In the case of the Happy Camper coasters I used the Per Model settings and the words were printed with no bottom layers.

I wrote myself a little program to splice gcode files.  After thinking a bit more it became apparent that all it was doing was configuring about 4 lines of gcode for the transition.  Lately I've been using the Pause at Height post-processor since that's what it does anyway.  You just need to consider if the top file needs a Z adjustment of the Home Offset, or if just using G92 will suffice.  By using the pauses in two files as the "end one and begin the next" location it works very well.