Why is Cura not using all my CPU cores?

Yzord

Posted · Why is Cura not using all my CPU cores?

I have the latest Mac Pro and designing on it is amazing. But what i dont understand is that most of my designers programs are not using the full capacity of my cpu. Even Cura is not a multicore program. Why is that? I mean, it is a designers program and using the full maximum of all cores could only benefit the workflow. But when i slice my projects it takes forever before it is done. Sometimes Cure even hangs.

So why is Cura not made for using multicores? 

Posted · Why is Cura not using all my CPU cores?

There are multiple reasons. First off is the compiler for OSX that is just more outdated than those for Linux and Windows, making it much harder to get certain multi threading options available. We're looking into porting it, but that is why the osx version of Cura has less multi threading options.

Another (more fundamental) problem is that large parts of the slicing process are simply serial; The results of one layer depend on the results of the previous layer. As such, you can't calculate them in parallel.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies