Multiple printers in Cura

Posted · Multiple printers in Cura

Hello you guys,

I have recently gotten a few more printers that I am trying to use effectively in Cura. Right now I have 6 printers in total. The problem I have right now, is that Cura synchronizes the print settings of 5 of them even tho they are different printers. The 6th printer somehow is completely independent settingswise. Since these 6 printers are all different models I would like them to be all independent from each other settingswise but I am unable to find the setting and google isn't of much help. Can someone help with this? If there is already a thread about this that I didn't find please pint me in the direction

Kind regards

51 minutes ago, DrunkScienceMan said:

The problem I have right now, is that Cura synchronizes the print settings of 5 of them even tho they are different printers.

Can you elaborate on that? I assume you Added a new printer 6 times, so you have 6 printers in the printer selection dropdown (normally on the left of the top bar)?

What could happen is that a profile you create for one printer is also available for the other printers. What should not happen is that when you change eg the infill percentage on one printer, that all the other printers change the infill percentage too.

Yes I just added the printers and they are shown on the top left like you would expect. 

The problem is, that when I change settings (like infill for example) it changes for all of the printers that have that settings preset. Also, when I add a preset to printer 1 it adds that preset to printer 1-5, which I don't want.

Posted (edited) · Multiple printers in Cura
    13 hours ago, DrunkScienceMan said:

when I add a preset to printer 1 it adds that preset to printer 1-5, which I don't want

If by "preset" you mean a "profile", then that is how it is supposed to work. Profiles are shared between "similar" printers. There is no changing that.

The difference between what I said before and what you are seeing is that as long as you don't commit the setting differences in a profile, the "current settings" are the unique per printer. But as soon as you put the setting value in a profile, that profile is the same between those 5 printers.

Apparently your 6th printer is different enough that it has its own set of profiles. However if you add another one of those type of printers, they too will share a set of profiles.

Edited by ahoeben

11 hours ago, DrunkScienceMan said:

Ah I see. Is there a way to 'unlink' the printers so to say? So that their profiles are not synchronized?

Thank very much for your help so far

I'm using Cura 4.12.1 and my custom profiles are not linked at all between the printers. Are you using the default profiles? Try making a custom profile for each printer and they should not synchronize.

14 hours ago, DrunkScienceMan said:

Is there a way to 'unlink' the printers so to say? So that their profiles are not synchronized?

No, there is not.

3 hours ago, gchiu said:

I'm using Cura 4.12.1 and my custom profiles are not linked at all between the printers.

It really depends on which printers you have added in Cura. Typically printers that come with their own set of quality profiles get the individual user-created profiles too. Printers that basically only define the platform size and use the default set of profiles all share the same user-created profiles.

• Like 1

That's the thing tho. Some of the profiles are custom ones and some are those made by manufacturers. And they all synchronize with each other. Some of them are bowden and some direct drive. Different build volumes and there is even a delta one among them. To make this easier here are my printers: sovol sv01, tenlog D3 pro, monoproce delta mini, qidi x max, jgaurora A5, anycubic Chiron. Apart from the anycubic Chiron they all synchronize their settings. 

23 hours ago, DrunkScienceMan said:

Some of the profiles are custom ones and some are those made by manufacturers.

Many profiles made by manufacturers say "just use the default settings".

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/master/resources/definitions/SV01.def.json#L11

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/master/resources/definitions/mp_mini_delta.def.json#L11

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/master/resources/definitions/jgaurora_a5.def.json (does not specify "has_machine_quality" as true, so it is set to false)

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/master/resources/definitions/anycubic_chiron.def.json#L15

Only the Chiron specifies it has unique profiles. The rest all use the same default profiles, andas a result share your custom profiles among them too.

• Like 1