why does the usb function still suck

pepperscody7

Posted · why does the usb function still suck

Please be aware that the development of Cura by Ultimaker is focussed on Ultimaker 3d printers. I assume you use Cura with a third party printer. In such a case the open-sourceness is key. That means, the creator of that printer profile or the manufacturer of the printer (which would be the same in an ideal case) should care about the USB connection by Cura.

In case you try to print through USB from Cura to an Ultimaker printer: it's not recommended, please use the sd card or Octoprint instead.

• Like 1

Posted · why does the usb function still suck

I'm just a user but I have written a little code (poorly) for serial port communication with everything from a 60 ton Baldwin Universal Test Machine to robotic puppets.

I tried to build an app to be a print server that would transmit a gcode file to a 3D printer.  After numerous hours trying to emulate the printer in my code (so the transmission rate would match the rate of usage by the printer) I gave up and threw it all away.  That may have been what happened at Ultimaker as well and they chose to go a different way.  I don't think anyone has updated the "USB Printing" plugin for several years.  Since it is open source - you are welcome to try.

If you really want to print over the USB then you will likely have to invest in an Octoprint/RaspberryPI setup.  That seems to work pretty well and avoids the problems like (in my case) Microsoft pushing updates that cause a re-boot, or buffer under-runs and over-runs that cause stuttering and missed commands, or M115 being truncated to M1 by the printer causing an "emergency stop".  All of those are critical errors and they absolutely do happen.