Missing interior layer after slicing

PeterMess

Posted · Missing interior layer after slicing

Hey

I just started my journey with 3d printing, I'm learning modelling in blender 3.0 and using Ultimaker Cura 4.12. I'm struggling for a while with a topic of hollow walls of my vase, can anybody please show me the direction where do I go wrong with it? I tried to modify the model in blender (managed to get the hollow but with missing 27 first layers of it) and by Cura as well but without any success.

I would be really grateful for any informations (even though it seems to be super easy it just drives me crazy that I cannot make it) .

Best Regards

P

blender shot.png

x-ray.png

layer shot.png

cylinder 9x64 test.stl

37 minutes ago, PeterMess said:

I would be really grateful for any informations (even though it seems to be super easy it just drives me crazy that I cannot make it) .

Well... creating models that are well suited for 3D-printing can be super easy with proper CAD software - but is quite hard in Blender (IMHO).

The easy part:

Normals of the inner walls are facing in the wrong direction. I think Cura can auto-correct this - but i think it's a good idea to correct this in Blender.

In "viewport overlays" one can enable "face orientation" to get a visualization in Blender. In edit mode the orientation can be changed with the functions in "Mesh -> Normals -> ..."

image.thumb.png.47fae7d320ea226ee4b3fee23d3fd5af.png

The more serious problem:

The bottom of the cylinder looks like it was added later, it overlaps with other parts. This has to be solved before it can be used for 3D printing.

One example - the tips of these triangles are somewhere inside the wall - this has to be changed:

image.thumb.png.c817195d883b7fea3d69ace5c1eda576.png

The goal is one single ("watertight") outer shell without overlapping or missing geometry. And no extra "hidden" faces inside.

You didn't shared the .blend-file. Is the bottom a separate geometry? If so, remove it and simply close the cylinder at the bottom with loop cuts and the fill function.

• Thanks 1

Dear good Sir, Thank you so much for your reply!

I did some adjustments following your guidelines and simplified the model a bit to avoid overlapping and missing geometry. Fixed bottom and added second layer so the normals don't go crazy.

Yet still I cannot make Cura to slice it to have 2 layers to make it hollow inside.

I updated the files and added the OBJ (which I believe is proper format) since blender files cannot be uploaded.

blender x-ray shot fix.png

blender shot fix.png

x-ray shot fix.png

layer shot fix.png

cylinder 9x64 FT fix.stl cylinder 9x64 FT fix.obj

It still has model errors.

In this image of Layer 1 you can see that some of the outside shapes (in the black circles) are not properly attached to the main body.  The ones in the blue circles look OK.

Untitled.thumb.png.85557761ab70d2aafd11ec545d1c9bf8.png

Here at the top layer it has come apart again.

If this was your design intent, then it's fine.

Untitled1.thumb.png.de5fa77d14e06f35286547bd96516a96.png

The ones in the black circles were my intent, I want the gear tooth to be 'disattached' and made like separate module of the vase.

To top is absolutely not what my intent was, it seems to be very screwed, sigh

Seems like I have to come back to the base shape of the model and start adding the interior hollow layer from the scratch...