Cura 7.13.1 adds a top layer when printing on Mega S but doesn't show it in Cura

Posted · Cura 7.13.1 adds a top layer when printing on Mega S but doesn't show it in Cura

Open photo

Cura added an extra layer flat to the center of these .stl prints. Uncommanded and not showing on Cura print screen after slicing . The problem is the extra material in the center of the print seen in the L image.   The R print also started to add the flat layer center cover but I stopped the print and removed the extra material. Thinking this is a support layer or iron layer or something else? can't find any cura settings that might cause this. Printed using USB and card with the same result. 

Anybody have seen this issue before?

thanks

Posted · Cura 7.13.1 adds a top layer when printing on Mega S but doesn't show it in Cura

Something is up with your photo and I can't zoom in.

If you can share the model then use the File / Save Project command to create a 3mf file and post it here.

I'll have an old fireman (that I happen to know personally) take a look at it.

15 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

Something is up with your photo and I can't zoom in.

If you can share the model then use the File / Save Project command to create a 3mf file and post it here.

I'll have an old fireman (that I happen to know personally) take a look at it.

I can't share the actual model, only pics of it, sorry.   The slice looks good in Cura.  thanks

The preview in Cura should be WYSIWYG.  Adding an extra layer obviously shouldn't happen.  Is the print actually 1 layer taller than it should be?

In the Cura Preview it will tell you the number of layers.  At the beginning of the actual Gcode file there should be a line

;LAYER_COUNT:737

The top layer in the preview should match that layer count in the Gcode.

Scrolling down the gcode to the last layer there should be a Z value just above or just below the ";LAYER:XX" line that it printed at.

G0 F300 X151.319 Y151.237 Z147.4
    G0 F10800 X151.136 Y150.957
    G0 X150.079 Y150.066
    ;TIME_ELAPSED:8265.787875
    ;LAYER:736

That top Z should match what you calculate within Cura.  In my example - .2 layer height and .2 initial layer height * 737 = 147.4.  If your initial layer height is different then you have to make an adjustment.

Looking that way; the last layer will be off by one because the gcode layers are numbered base 0 and the Cura preview is numbered base 1.  The layer count includes layer 0 of the gcode and so matches up with Cura.

I think it might be a problem with the model though.  Did you check it with the Cura Mesh Tools?

9 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

The preview in Cura should be WYSIWYG.  Adding an extra layer obviously shouldn't happen.  Is the print actually 1 layer taller than it should be?

In the Cura Preview it will tell you the number of layers.  At the beginning of the actual Gcode file there should be a line

;LAYER_COUNT:737

The top layer in the preview should match that layer count in the Gcode.

Scrolling down the gcode to the last layer there should be a Z value just above or just below the ";LAYER:XX" line that it printed at.

G0 F300 X151.319 Y151.237 Z147.4
    G0 F10800 X151.136 Y150.957
    G0 X150.079 Y150.066
    ;TIME_ELAPSED:8265.787875
    ;LAYER:736

That top Z should match what you calculate within Cura.  In my example - .2 layer height and .2 initial layer height * 737 = 147.4.  If your initial layer height is different then you have to make an adjustment.

Looking that way; the last layer will be off by one because the gcode layers are numbered base 0 and the Cura preview is numbered base 1.  The layer count includes layer 0 of the gcode and so matches up with Cura.

I think it might be a problem with the model though.  Did you check it with the Cura Mesh Tools?

checking with mesh tools now

5 minutes ago, kevinevans said:

Guess I have some work to do, might be too much to deal with as I might not know how to fix.  Thank you! 

image.thumb.png.1faa59825eeb716449b311895972dbb7.png

Errors in the model can fool Cura.

Upload your model to this place https://formware.co/OnlineStlRepair.  I think you have to create a free account to use it.  After making the repair (if it can) it will give you a report of what was found and then you can download the repaired STL.