Can I purchase this and print it with Cura?

geewizard

Posted · Can I purchase this and print it with Cura?

The reviews are good (but they might be from the designers mother).

I think it would depend on the scale.  The tires could be the determining factor as you would likely want to print them in one piece.  Printing the spokes could be real iffy.  Printing it all at once???  I'd save the money for a real motorbike.

The DXF format...I don't know.  A DXF file is a text file.  You would have to check but I don't believe it would contain any solid models that could be exported as STL.

Cura will load the OBJ files I think.  Before I would drop cash on it I think I'd contact the designer and ask them for a sample OBJ file and see if Cura would accept it and slice it.  It doesn't necessarily need to be from that model, just something to make sure you can load his/her OBJ files into Cura and turn them into gcodes.

Usually when a model is extremely intricate like that one then it was designed "to scale" rather than designed to print.  There may be a lot of parts that simply aren't suited to print as they are designed.  The spoked wheels and drive chain scare me.

It's your money.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Can I purchase this and print it with Cura?

Not every 3d model that is suitable for rendering (display) is suitable for 3d printing. The spokes are going to be really hard to print. Ofcourse you can try, but it would not be a question of loading the model and pressing slice, and then print.

Looking at the details in the model, I would say "No, you cannot just purchase and print it with Cura on your Ender 5 Plus". Extensive work would be needed to think of strategies to print individual parts and putting them back together.

Edited by ahoeben
  • Like 1