Cura creating a top pattern in the solid layer below an extrusion up

Adam324

Posted (edited) · Cura creating a top pattern in the solid layer below an extrusion up

Anyone know why this happens?  The 3rd layer should be solid and doesn't actually need a pattern drawn in it.  Is there a setting to suppress that?  It is a big waste of time when printing multiple objects because there a lot of extra moves to put that pattern into the 3rd layer.  I have made sure that the layer height is correct so that the 3rd printed layer isn't between layers.  I print at 0.2 layer height and the top of the 3rd layer is 0.6mm.

I tried increasing wall width to 2mm to make sure there was no infill and that didn't make a difference either.  Interestingly the smaller lower text doesn't get the top layer pattern embedded into the 3rd layer.

The first screenshot is printing the 3rd layer which should be solid.  It does print it fully solid but it does so using the extruded pattern in the next level above.  The second screenshot is printing the 4th layer which is the extruded pattern above layer 3.

cura-3rdlayer.jpg

cura-4thlayer.jpg

Test123.stl WD9_Test123_Ziro_PLA_Black.gcode

WD9_Test123_Ziro_PLA_Black_2mmWall.gcode

Edited by Adam324

Posted · Cura creating a top pattern in the solid layer below an extrusion up

I just found out that using 100% infill did stop it from drawing the pattern into the 3rd layer.  I wonder why just increased wall size didn't end up doing the same thing?  100% infill isn't always an option so if wall thickness would have the same effect, that would be great.  In this instance 100% infill is ok and works.

Posted (edited) · Cura creating a top pattern in the solid layer below an extrusion up

That is always an issue with small features.  It makes a lot more sense when the features are large and the infill simply carries on upward.

Skin Removal Width = 0 coupled with Skin Expand Distance = 3 ??? (play with it) affect that.

Sometimes I'll bring in the lettering as a separate model and print it on top of the first model.  I don't get that effect when doing it that way either.

Take a close look at the preview.  You might have to alter things with a support blocker configured as in Infill Mesh or a Cutting Mesh.

Edited by GregValiant

Thanks for the input.  It is appreciated.  I will check that out.  I worry it might effect other parts of the print when the design needs infill but has features like above too.

It does make sense to have the pattern if the layer above has infill around the extrusion up, but with walls taking up the entire thing, It seems like Cura could figure out that there is no need to put the pattern into layer 3.  It did seem to figure that out for the smaller text.  Maybe after a specific size, that optimization gets ignored or something.

Edited by Adam324