Change the color at a specified layer with a dual color printer

Manuparis

Posted · Change the color at a specified layer with a dual color printer

HEllo

I have a A20M printer for 2 or 3 weeks. It is a printer with 2 extruders. I would like to print a model and change the color from Extruder 1 to Extruder 2 at a specified layer. 

I think it goes with scripts but i cant figure out exactly how to do it and how to configure script.

Is it colormix ? Filament change ?

I am not sure. 

Thanks for your help

Usually it's done with two separate models - one for each extruder - that are arranged with the "merge models" function.

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011738340-How-to-merge-and-group-models-in-Ultimaker-Cura

For a single model one can make use of one or more "modifier meshes" to achieve the same, like described here:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013370140-How-to-adjust-print-settings-of-a-part-of-my-model-in-Ultimaker-Cura

BTW:

If you don't have an according modifier model at hand - you can "misuse" a support blocker for this purpose. Just add one to the model, change the type to "Cutting mesh", scale and position it to your likings and choose an extruder.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Manuparis

I do it manually during printing.

1. Install DUPLICATE extension from Marketplace.

2. Duplicate Extruder 1 to Extruder 2.

3. Slice

4. Preview. A slider appears on rh side.

5. Slide up and down and read the layer you want.

6. Start printing and see Z layer on the screen.

7. At the chosen layer, press once, Mixer, Toggle Mix.

Did you figure out how to do this? All the instructions I have found so far are useless... none of the instructions actually works inside cura and i haven't been able to do anything in dual color yet. I am getting ready to manually place a pause in the G code because at this point it seems easier than trying to figure out what the manual actually means... everyone just keeps dropping the link to the manual - that does not actually explain how it works... just lists the features.

I don't have a dual extruder.  What I have is a virtual multiple extruder Ender 3 Pro in Cura that I school myself with.  Playing around with it - this seems to work:

(Extruder 1 is numbered as T0 in gcode and Extruder 2 is numbered as T1 in gcode.)

• With your model in the Cura workspace bring in a support blocker.
    • Scale the blocker to cover the entire model in the XY.  Scale the Z for however many layers you want Extruder 2 to print.
    • Move the blocker into position around the model and set the Z height to the first layer you want Extruder 2 for.
    • With the Blocker selected on screen - on the left side of the Cura screen select the circled "2" to set the blocker to Extruder 2.
    • With the blocker still selected - use the "Per Model" tool (just above the support blocker tool) and set it to "Modify Settings for Overlaps" and then as a "Cutting Mesh".  Now the blocker is considered a Mesh Modifier.
    • Click on the Select Settings button in the Per Model dialog box.  Select "Wall Count", "Top Layers", "Bottom Layers", and "Infill Density".  Those settings should come in with numbers you entered in the main settings area on the right, but you can change them (like if you want more walls or something).  You CANNOT change the Support Extruder so if the area covered by the Mesh Modifier contains support structure it will still be printed by Extruder 1.
    • Slice the model.
    • Whatever the color that Extruder 2 is set to in Cura should now be apparent in the preview and it should print like that.

Below you can see a Mesh Modifier surrounding the model and the preview shows the area within it as a different color.  This particular model has support running up through the Mesh Modifier and I think a prime tower is in order as it will need to change extruders twice per layer since Support was set to Extruder 1 in the main settings.

The rest of the Dual Extrusion stuff you will need to figure out yourself.  If you have a multiple-in-one-out hot end then you need to load the Printer Settings plugin and check the boxes for "Extruders Share Heater" and "Extruders Share Nozzle".  I see there is a new setting in the Machine settings as well "Apply Extruder Offsets to Gcode".  I don't know about that one and there isn't a tooltip yet, but it sounds like it's for a conventional dual extruder setup with separated hot ends and nozzles.

Good Luck!

image.thumb.png.9d3e89091a862fb5bfc3bb6f7427f8d3.png

THANK YOU SO MUCH. FOR GOODNESS SAKE! This is the first set of real steps I've found. I really appreciate you took the time to walk me through it. I will let you know how it works. Thank you again!

Posted (edited) · Change the color at a specified layer with a dual color printer

No applause unless it does actually work.  It would be a shame for me to stand up to take a bow only to be hit in the head with a rotten tomato.

Edited by GregValiant

Well regardless, I still appreciate you took the time. Even the printer manual gives poor information. Its like an ikea manual with step one and the finished product... step 2-24 are missing. So no tomatoes... promise.

I take it that means back to the drawing board?  You might have to alter the model to break it into pieces so you can assign different areas to the second extruder.  There should be a better way than that though.  I'll think on it.

PS:  My original instructions worked for me as @tinkergnome intimated they would.  I can't actually print it but looking at the gcode and "printing" it into AutoCad everything looked good.  The tool switched to T1 for the "modifier mesh" every time it appeared in the gcode and then it switched back to T0 for the support.

I tried to set these up the same.  The left model is with a cutting mesh (the printer is a dual extruder Ender 3 Pro) and the right model was altered in MS 3D Builder so that the center area is a separate part using "merge" in Cura (printer is Wanhao Duplicator dual extruder.

Within my code in AutoCad - if a T1 is encountered all the following extrusion lines are purple until a T0 is encountered at which point they go back to normal.  Unless there is a mistake in my code (possible) it looks like either way should work.  I turned off support for these in an effort to unclutter the views.

1346443719_MultiPiecevsBlocker.thumb.png.d2203bf5fcd5415fafe39fd0843cced9.png