Temperature Issues for Duet 2 Wifi

Posted · Temperature Issues for Duet 2 Wifi

I have two PT100s (the bed & nozzle), each hooked up to the RTD daughter board (MAX 31865). I followed the hardware guide. The firmware guide, I tried my best. And that's most likely where the issue is (within the code).

I have a picture of the issue below. My config.g file looks like:

; Configuration file for Duet WiFi (firmware version 2.03)
; executed by the firmware on start-up
;
; generated by RepRapFirmware Configuration Tool v3.3.10 on Mon Mar 14 2022 15:32:07 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Saving Time)

; General preferences

G90                                          ; send absolute coordinates...
M83                                         ; ...but relative extruder moves
M550 P""                                ; set printer name

; Network
M551 P""                                 ; set password
M552 S1                                   ; enable network
M586 P0 S1                              ; enable HTTP
M586 P1 S0                              ; disable FTP
M586 P2 S0                              ; disable Telnet

; Drives
M569 P0 S0                              ; physical drive 0 goes backwards
M569 P1 S1                              ; physical drive 1 goes forwards
M569 P2 S0                              ; physical drive 2 goes backwards
M569 P3 S1                              ; physical drive 3 goes forwards
M584 X0 Y1 Z2 E3                        ; set drive mapping
M350 X16 Y16 Z16 E16 I1                 ; configure microstepping with interpolation
M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z400.00 E420.00       ; set steps per mm
M566 X900.00 Y900.00 Z12.00 E120.00     ; set maximum instantaneous speed changes (mm/min)
M203 X6000.00 Y6000.00 Z180.00 E1200.00 ; set maximum speeds (mm/min)
M201 X500.00 Y500.00 Z250.00 E250.00    ; set accelerations (mm/s^2)
M906 X800 Y800 Z800 E800 I30            ; set motor currents (mA) and motor idle factor in per cent
M84 S30                                 ; Set idle timeout

; Axis Limits
M208 X0 Y0 Z0 S1                        ; set axis minima
M208 X223 Y223 Z205 S0                  ; set axis maxima

; Endstops
M574 X1 Y2 Z2 S0                        ; set active low and disabled endstops

; Z-Probe
M558 P0 H5 F120 T6000                   ; disable Z probe but set dive height, probe speed and travel speed
M557 X15:215 Y15:195 S20                ; define mesh grid

; Heaters
M307 H0 B0 S1.00                        ; disable bang-bang mode for the bed heater and set PWM limit
M305 P0 X201                            ; configure PT100 for heater 0
M143 H0 S120                            ; set temperature limit for heater 0 to 120C
M305 P1 X200                            ; configure PT100 for heater 1
M143 H1 S290                            ; set temperature limit for heater 1 to 290C

; Fans
M106 P0 S0 I0 F500 H-1                  ; set fan 0 value, PWM signal inversion and frequency. Thermostatic control is turned off
M106 P1 S1 I0 F500 H1 T45               ; set fan 1 value, PWM signal inversion and frequency. Thermostatic control is turned on

; Tools
M563 P0 S"Nozzle-0" D0 H1 F0            ; define tool 0
G10 P0 X0 Y0 Z0                         ; set tool 0 axis offsets
G10 P0 R0 S0                            ; set initial tool 0 active and standby temperatures to 0C

; Custom settings are not defined

My DWC is 3.3.0 (if that's important). Any advice to get the two PT100 sensors working properly?

printer sensor error.png

Although M305 still seems to work  - for RRF3 one should use M308 instead.

(according to the documentation here: https://docs.duet3d.com/en/User_manual/Reference/Gcodes)

Here's an example that seems pretty close to your setup:

https://forum.duet3d.com/topic/19386/pt100-sensor-and-daughter-board-issue

Out of curiosity: for which printer do you use the Duet Board?

Posted (edited) · Temperature Issues for Duet 2 Wifi

My problem has changed since I last posted to one bad PT100 sensor. The bad sensor now reads in the 500s only.

A quick update:

• I rolled back the firmware on my Duet 2 wifi to 2.05. I may update that all in the future, but for now I'm using it to better match my config file version made by the RRF tool.

• I checked for loose connections to the daughterboard. Found one. Put it back in and tightened it.  Got a good reading at that point, it just turned out to be for the wrong heater. I then tinkered with the config file when I realized the sensors were backwards. The bed sensor is the one that works. The nozzle sensor, I have no idea what is going on. It now reads in the 500s (pic posted below).

Although M305 still seems to work  - for RRF3 one should use M308 instead.

(according to the documentation here: https://docs.duet3d.com/en/User_manual/Reference/Gcodes)

Here's an example that seems pretty close to your setup:

https://forum.duet3d.com/topic/19386/pt100-sensor-and-daughter-board-issue

Out of curiosity: for which printer do you use the Duet Board?

Thanks. It's a Ultimaker 2, modified with a BMG extruder.

My issue is starting to look hardware related now. Although I don't think it has anything to do with length of the wire or it's diameter (in the PT100 troubleshoot section), since the bed sensor wire should be similar (at least after rewiring everything last year). I work on this printer periodically if anyone was wondering why there's such a gap between now and then.

Although I'm not sure where the current issue is. It could be a bad connection. The sensor itself? The point of the wire that's spliced? The ferrule tips used for the terminal? Something else? *sigh* I guess I'll explore all these one by one. Maybe I'll find the solution.

But if there is better advice, I'm open.

Edit: Snipped off the old ferrules and replaced them on the nozzle sensor wire. Not the issue. Will resume trying to find the cause tomorrow.

printer temp error 2.png

Edited by rad_spider

Fixed it! Long story short, the wrong component was plugged into the daughterboard (so the PT100 for the Nozzle was never plugged in). *sigh*

To be fair, these are long wires that I have to push through ports on the UM2 for good cable management. Lost some labels on the wires along the way. Add in the fact that it had been weeks since I last tinkered with it (waiting on that daughterboard I ordered), and that was the recipe for this mistake.

But it's all good now!

temp sensor fixed.png