Small "z-banding" and over-extruded first layer

glx

Posted · Small "z-banding" and over-extruded first layer

I printed some of these parts and noticed that there are very small layer variations on the surface.

To be honest this is whining on a pretty high level, the variations can barely be felt but are visible in certain light conditions, but I'm curious.

IMG_1777.thumb.jpeg.14fde03fdedcfcd4ad5d898dac3472b3.jpeg

The parts are printed on an S5 with the "Visual Fine - 0.1mm" preset with Ultimaker PLA White.

Where do these variations come from? Variations in the filament-diameter?

I noticed another thing, the first layer is always over-extruded, resulting in a slightly too large first layer and visibly overlapping lines on the bottom. If I remember it on time I compensate that by setting the flow of the first layer to 90%, then everything is fine. Is the first layer over-extruded on purpose or is that some inaccuracy of the active leveling? That happens regardless of the material or profiles. I already had that same thing on my UM3, so I'm somehow used to it. The engineering profiles somehow seems to compensate that by setting the initial layer horizontal expansion to -0.2mm.

IMG_1778.thumb.jpeg.d8c576e04463140fec0512de76e2eba2.jpeg

• 10 months later...
    Posted · Small "z-banding" and over-extruded first layer

I get similar Z banding on my models. It improved a lot after I tightened the pulleys (short and long), but it's still visible, though — on par with your photo.

There's a little forward-backward play in the right-side axle, and I aim to try that next. Is there any play in your axles? 

https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667417951326