Digital Factory doesn't support queueing print jobs to a 2+Connect

Posted · Digital Factory doesn't support queueing print jobs to a 2+Connect

Why can't I queue print jobs in Digital Factory to my 2+Connect?

I'm really disappointed to find out this doesn't work with the 2+Connect but it's supported on the 3 and 5...

Any chance this will be added in a future software update?

Thanks!

Erich

Derry, NH

Hi Erich, 

Sorry to hear you're disappointed in the capabilities of the Ultimaker 2+ Connect and Ultimaker Digital Factory. The higher end printers have a queue on the printer to allow them to continue printing when they go offline. For now Digital Factory simply puts those prints in the queue on the printer and doesn't do any queuing itself.

I can't make any promises on the roadmap of the Ultimaker 2+ Connect, since it is our entry level printer after all. We are constantly improving Digital Factory and we are looking into making sending the print to the printer more robust and this might mean that we can hold a print for a printer that is printing for a while. So that doesn't make it exactly a queue but I imagine it would improve your workflow a bit. 

In sum I can't make any concrete promises, but we are aware that is something users find lacking on the Ultimaker 2+ Connect. 

Kind regards, 

Roel Vossen 

Thank you Roel!

I do understand.

I want you to know that this is a pretty minor issue. Overall I am absolutely ecstatic about the 2+Connect.

I started my 3D printing adventures as a curiosity to see if I could use the technology as part of my passion for model railroading. I bought a very inexpensive 3D printer and spent the better part of a year fighting with the stupid thing trying to get it to do what I wanted. I idiotically fell down the rathole of upgrades and tweaks based on advice from the internet and I got so frustrated that I gave up and that printer sat dormant for a year. I'm not going to name names but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take you too many guesses. In my frustration I started looking for a better printer and Ultimaker kept coming to the top of the list.  I reached out to my local Ultimaker dealer (www.tecedu.com) and we spoke about the products but at the time I just couldn't justify spending any more money.

About a month ago, I called my Ultimaker dealer back and I decided to order my 2+Connect before the April price increase. I have been printing pretty much non-stop since I unboxed it and I am completely thrilled with the results. Everything about this printer is light years better than the first printer I had.

My design cycle is Fusion 360 to Cura to Digital Factory to the 2+Connect. I've made a few mistakes as I learn how to use the Cura settings and tune them for best results but my overall experience is fantastic. I have renewed excitement about the possibilities for my future model railroading projects.

Please keep up the great work. I will look forward to updates as they come and give feedback when I can to help you continue to improve this amazing printer. 

I've attached a print my wife found on Thingiverse--this was a fantastic way to learn how to use this printer. This is printed with all Ultimaker PLA: Pearl White, Silver Metallic, Orange, and Black. The base is Transparent PLA.

Most of this was done with Cura's Normal setting.

IMG_0423.thumb.jpeg.2114344dd96b80e8f002323eedbf39e9.jpeg

Thank you!

-Erich

• 1 month later...
    On 4/7/2022 at 7:33 AM, UltiRoel said:

We are constantly improving Digital Factory and we are looking into making sending the print to the printer more robust and this might mean that we can hold a print for a printer that is printing for a while. So that doesn't make it exactly a queue but I imagine it would improve your workflow a bit. 

Any Updates/teasers on this? I have an S5 and a 2+C and its getting to be very annoying to not be able to queue parts. Especially when I'm used to queueing 2-3 different jobs at once on the S5. Even just queuing the next print would be a major improvement (and honestly one that should have already happened, but I digress.)