Spiralize Walls by Layer

Jagetsu

Posted · Spiralize Walls by Layer

Working to reduce Z seam, I've been thinking on the application of the Spiralize setting to walls within individual layers, but I've been unable to find such functionality already existing via a slicer. 

The idea is as follows...  Instead of building walls to be individually fully enclosed, could the Z seam not be better hidden by beginning an extrusion on the innermost inner wall then wrapping around (in a continual extrusion) until the outer wall is enclosed?  Then the Z seam would be hidden inside of a print (with the exception of the top-most revealed layer).  I've attached a picture to visualize. 

The beginning of "1" marks where the total wall extrusion would begin, the path would wrap around the remainder of the inner wall, then at "2" the nozzle would continue moving to begin the outer wall, then would lap the remainder of the outer wall until joining itself at the blue dot.  Assuming there were multiple bodies to print, each would be printed individually according to this concept.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Or see a reason why it wouldn't work?

spiralizewalls.png

7 hours ago, Jagetsu said:

could the Z seam not be better hidden by beginning an extrusion on the innermost inner wall then wrapping around (in a continual extrusion) until the outer wall is enclosed?  Then the Z seam would be hidden inside of a print (with the exception of the top-most revealed layer).

Z-seam is a bit of a misnomer. If you do what you suggest, you still get a seam, where the toolpath goes from the outer wall to the inner wall.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Z-seam is a bit of a misnomer. If you do what you suggest, you still get a seam, where the toolpath goes from the outer wall to the inner wall.

My z-seam appears to only occur when "starting", not oozing from ending a layer.  I've been changing settings to minimize the seam, but it seems the underlying issue is the lack of continual movement - and resolving that (at least on the outer wall) would be the ideal solution.  Of course, if the nozzle was continually moving like in the picture, the prints would also complete faster.

For reference, I'm running linear advance and all other speed changes are working as I'd like - this z-seam (coming from the initial extrustion when a layer starts) is the only remaining quality issue I'm unhappy with.  

I could be mistaken, but it seems that (at least in my situation) the underlying issue is the lack of continual movement, which I would love to be able to address.  Does this sound right?