Ultimaker and Ultimaker 2 heated bed

Posted · Ultimaker and Ultimaker 2 heated bed

Hi!

Relative newbie to the world of 3d printing here!

I recently aquired an Ultimaker Original from a friend. The thing runs like a dream!

However, as it is the base unit, it doesn't have the heated bed/upgraded Z-axis kit. I know these kits are discontinued, and everywhere ive looked is sold out. However, i read somewhere that the UM 2 is functionally the same unit as the UMO - will a heated plate+glass from the UM2 fit the UMO, and wire into the control board, or is it better to get an after-market 'stand alone' kit?

Cheers!

Posted · Ultimaker and Ultimaker 2 heated bed

There are a lot of electronics changes in the UMO heated bed kit (HBK).  It uses 24V power brick instead of 19V.  There is a circuit to lower the 24V to 19V for the electronics.  24V runs the heater so there is a circuit added to allow the weak arduino signal to turn on and off the power to the heater.  This makes it somewhat complicated.  Oh - and I can't remember but I think the bed uses PT100 sensor so there is an analog amplifier circuit as part as the upgrade kit (UMO original circuit board can't deal with PT100s).

Also there is a "UMO+" that uses the UM2 circuit board (which doesn't need a fan is more robust) and it also uses a newer better temp sensor technology (PT100) in the nozzle block that isn't compatible with the older UMO PCB.

So it's not a trivial upgrade.  So I don't think the chinese ever made a knockoff.

I think it would be easier and cheaper to just buy a used UMO:  either one with the HBK or a UMO+.  Maybe set a search trigger for those in ebay?  Hell consider a really old and cheap UM2 as well.  The UM2 is a really great printer.  I have 3 that I use every week.

Having said that, the UMO with no modifications prints PLA quite well.  Make sure you clean the blue painters tape with isopropyl alcohol to get the wax off and your parts will stick nicely to it.

• Like 1