Ultimaker Original change extruder

Posted · Ultimaker Original change extruder

Hi, first post here.

I am working with a Ultimaker Original at my workspace and trying to bring it back to life.

Everything was working and suddenly the extruder motor stopped moving. We have run some tests and the motor itself seems to be fine, as it moves if we connect it to another motors' connector in the main board, all X, Y and Z motors work properly.

So, our suspicion is that something went wrong inside the board that only affects this motor.

My two questions:

1) Any possible reasons why the board stopped working only with this motor?

2) I noticed the board has an extra connector for a second extruder, is there a way I could modify Marlin to switch and use this other connector instead of the original? I know there's a way to add the second extruder, but not if it can be used independently (hope this makes sense)

Thank for any info or help,

Alfredo.

On the Ultimaker Original board, you should be able to easily switch out two "stepper drivers" to check whether those are working (similar to how you checked the motor itself by putting it on another connector).

The stepper drivers are the small PCB boards on the right, directly next to the terminals for the steppers:

UltimakerPCB1.5.3-prototype.JPG

Note that the one for the extruder has a different orientation than the ones for the axes. This is correct; don't connect them in a different orientation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks ahoeben, in fack we tried switching the driver, but it seems the second extruder is not enabled for the Ultimaker Original, so we need to compile and reload Marlin with a new configuration.

Any chance you or somebody else knows the pin numbers for the second extruder on this board? I've been trying to find info but no luck.

No, I said switch the stepper driver boards (the small PCB boards). Just take one from X, Y or Z (top right in the image above) and switch it out with the Ext (bottom right). Then if the extruder works, but not the X,Y or Z axis you took the driver board from, you know it is the stepper driver that was bad. These stepper boards are cheap (and easy) to replace.