Printing to 2 Ender 3 via USB from 1 PC - Can it be done?

rosscarlson

Posted · Printing to 2 Ender 3 via USB from 1 PC - Can it be done?

I have 2 Ender 3 Pro's and would like to print to both of them, simultaneously, from a single PC via USB. I know there are solutions like Klipper, Octoprint, etc. that would let me print over WiFi if I used a Raspberry Pi, etc. - right now I have no budget left to buy anything more (as those are crazy expensive right now) so I need to do this with what I have. I can't tell that this is even possible - I see no way to assign each printer to a specific COMM port, and as I know that Cura spams data to any and all COMM ports it finds I sorta feel like that would prevent this from working in the first place - but a few guys on the subreddit claim it is possible, they of course can't tell me how to set it up though. I know I can use SD cards too but I'm not only having issues with the readers (long story) but I'd rather not have to walk the card back and forth when I start prints (yes, I'm just that lazy!)

So with just the printers, cables and a PC can I print to 2 Ender 3 Pro's via USB simultaneously?

Thanks!

~Ross

4 minutes ago, gr5 said:

I believe you can do it.  I recommend using prontrface (aka printrun).  It lets you choose which COMM port and you run it twice (two instances - two windows of prontrface).  Each one uses a different comm port.

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

First thanks for the blazing fast reply - question, and forgive my ignorance with prontrface - I understood that was a Pi app - does that act as a layer between Cura and the printer or does it replace Cura? I can't play with it right now as I have 4 hours left on a print so if you see this awesome otherwise I'll play around later.

~Ross

It's a replacement for Cura's "print through USB" feature.  It is not a slicer.  It has many more features and is easier to use than Cura's "print through USB" feature.  It runs on windows or mac.  Don't think it runs on raspberry pi.

It's older software and what a lot of other interfaces have copied.  So you may have heard the term "prontrface mode" or "prontrface like".

Again thanks so much for your help - I now have Pronterface working great with both printers. I'm using Cura to slice, save to g-code, load that in Pronterface and print. If that's not right and there's an easier way let me know otherwise I'm good to go and again really appreciate your help.

~Ross

Unfortunately that is the process.  I don't know how much raspi costs but it used to be $25 from china.  Holy crap I just checked and now $200 from china.  Yikes!  Okay.  Well when they were $25 each it was a great solution - you put octoprint on each one and have one for each printer.