Prints are better, but I still need more tuning

zogthegreat

Posted · Prints are better, but I still need more tuning

Hi everyone!

I'm getting better prints with Cura, but I'm still having some problems. Here's an example of my most recent tests:

image.thumb.jpeg.9641efc2bea770b6dea6a92993199979.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2bf9d16b0d57c5793ba151ab3881ef4a.jpeg

The stringing I can deal with, this is PETG, so stringing is expected. But there is a roughness to my prints, especially on the back of the Y axis. Here is a pic of a fan duct that I printed:

image.thumb.jpeg.16c038e423a384749d019e5c287a1f05.jpeg

Currently I'm printing PETG @235c/80c 60mm/s. I have "combing mode" set to "Not on skin". My e-steps have been calibrated along with my retraction.

Any suggestion on how to improve my print quality?

Thanks!

zog

Posted (edited) · Prints are better, but I still need more tuning

That rib was the Z seam location for the lower part of that model.  When it ran out of ribs to hide the Z seam at (higher on the print) it looks like the seam was much better.  The pin was after a travel move.

Round objects can cause long combing moves and oozing with PETG is an issue.  Settings like Coasting can make it worse.  If you are NOT using Z-Hops then you might try the Post Processor "Retract Continue".  Instead of retracting and then traveling the retraction takes place during the travel.  I think the thought is that the pressure in the nozzle would be maintained longer instead of suffering from oozing.   Playing with the Combing settings may get you different results as well.  My thought here is that the nozzle is running dry at the beginning of an extrusion because material was lost during the travel and it's taking 3 or 4mm to get the pressure back up in the nozzle.

There is also a setting in Travel for "Retraction Extra Prime Amount".  At .4 line width and .2 layer height 1mm of filament = 30.06mm of extrusion.  Setting the Retraction Extra Prime to 0.1 would be about 3mm of extrusion.  The downside is that it will do it everywhere and a print rarely needs it everywhere.

Edited by GregValiant