Cura 5 on iPad Pro

dank13

Posted · Cura 5 on iPad Pro

I know this subject has been discussed numerous times in the past, but a few things have changed now, with the M1 Macs. 
And since cura is now supporting M1 Macs, what are the chances it will port across to the iPads ?

Id be happy to pay for this app, as it will make my life a lot easier.

I'm not sure how cura for Mac is coded, but if it's using native swift code it wouldn't be hard to port it across, as one of the new things about the m1 chips is it uses the same code base as iOS.

It's hard to believe no one has created a slicer for iPad yet.

8 minutes ago, dank13 said:

I know this subject has been discussed numerous times in the past, but a few things have changed now, with the M1 Macs. And since cura is now supporting M1 Macs, what are the chances it will port across to the iPads ?

Chances are unchanged.

Cura 5.0 on M1 Macs still runs using "Rosetta", not as a native application. But even if it all ran natively on M1 chips, that does not mean that it is just a push of the button to also have it run on Ipad OS. For example, Cura is built using Python, and Python is not available on Ipad OS. The same is true for other pieces of software Cura depends on. Running Cura on an Ipad would still require a full rewrite of the application unfortunately.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Chances are unchanged.

Running Cura on an Ipad would still require a full rewrite of the application unfortunately.

Fair enough, I still would pay money for a cura ipad app.

Maybe a cloud/ web base cura could be an alternative. I've seen a couple around but they are not as good as Cura.

I just want to be able to go from shapr3d to ipad sd card reader without having to fire up the computer to do the slicing.

7 hours ago, dank13 said:

Maybe a cloud/ web base cura could be an alternative.

Maybe it could, but that would still be a completely new Cura frontend.

Personally, I dread the day that Ultimaker decides to go that route, because it is just about the only way they can stop developing Cura as open source (and in the process stop supporting 3rd party printers).

• 8 months later...