Cannot figure out why this won't print / is non manifold

dario33

Posted · Cannot figure out why this won't print / is non manifold

Hi guys,

I cannot for the life of me figure this out, and I'm ripping my hair out. If you could please help me out here that would be greatly appreciated.

I have this model of a cylinder, that has holes in it and cone-like structures in the middle, everything is fine when I want to print it out like this: 

f17706e8a2.jpg

But, when I add another cylinder on the outside to serve as a sort of shell, and connect them up, this happens:

1354c90072.jpg

and then none of the inside actually prints out. 

Could anyone please explain to me why this is happening? I'm attaching the STL.

Thank you in advance for any help. 

cylinder.stl

Posted (edited) · Cannot figure out why this won't print / is non manifold

Here is an explanation about what "non manifold" means:

https://github.com/Ghostkeeper/SettingsGuide/blob/master/resources/articles/troubleshooting/missing_parts.md#non-manifold-meshes

A cross-section can never have an uneven number of walls; Cura needs to be able to figure out what is enclosed between two skins, and a single skin must allways be inside on one side and outside on the other side.

I think you mean for your outer cylinder to have thickness.

Edited by ahoeben

1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

Here is an explanation about what "non manifold" means:

https://github.com/Ghostkeeper/SettingsGuide/blob/master/resources/articles/troubleshooting/missing_parts.md#non-manifold-meshes

A cross-section can never have an uneven number of walls; Cura needs to be able to figure out what is enclosed between two skins, and a single skin must allways be inside on one side and outside on the other side.

I think you mean for your outer cylinder to have thickness.

Honestly, I have tried all sorts of thicknesses, different vertex merges, I've been sat at this all day and I can't figure it out. The closest I can get is this:

0703827e51.jpg

But I need filament to be where I have scribbled in red, and I just cannot figure it out 😞 

The inner cylinder has holes in it. Where do you want those holes to end? This question is an important part of what is confusing Cura.