I upgraded to Cura 5 - and have had nothing but issues.

Posted (edited) · I upgraded to Cura 5 - and have had nothing but issues.

Ok so let's get some basics out of the way first.  The Printer is an Ender 3 from 2019. It has been my only printer for years, and I rather enjoy it, modding it, etc. I know it is not the 'best' printer out now, as newer models, better parts, etc have come along, but lets keep in mind that the photos are literally "print time" apart.  So not even days, or hours difference, 30minutes to print 1 cube, then load Gcode from another and Print it.  This eliminates a lot of variables like bed level, environmental changes (humidity, wet filament, etc).  This printer is only about 1/2 stock. It uses the 8bit, A4988 driver Melzi board, but the hotend is a 'custom VixTiM' (V6 heat sink, polished Titanium heat brake, Maxiwatt heating donut) with a fan duct system designed for 2x 5015 blower fans (only one is in use currently).  The extruder was 'upgraded' to a Orbiter V2.  Although I printed a mounting bracket to make it still be in Bowden Tube formation instead of direct drive. (for testing mostly)

I will be deep diving into each and every setting, and putting in spreadsheet all of them, next to each of the 'same but named differently' of the other slicer(s), this should help me find out "what" is causing changes.

My questions here though are, does anyone see similar?   Has anyone solved this?

So I will have 2 photos, of 2 "Chep Cubes" printed with same temps, and such, but one (the worse looking one at that) is from Cura5.  The "prettier/better' looking one, is from a near Default install of PrusaSlicer. (Print temps were changed, and initial layer height, that is it I believe if my notes are right)

I started to use Chep Cubes due to the fact 'calibration cube' has variants, depending on if imported from Cura Plugins, or used elsewhere, people have made their own and uploaded and that changes the model, even if slightly, this way I use the same 3D model for each slicer. (I previously have 8 cubes from Cura5 plugin, sliced through cura, that all have variable bad prints)

I was 'starting over' with my troubleshooting on this, since my printer started showing lines/ringing that I either never noticed before, or have 'just begun', and have been keeping a rich text notepad of what changes I make, photographing finished cubes, or noting failure and how when they fail.  (this includes re-PID tuning, flow rates, linear calibrations, etc)

I have a feeling it is the 'dynamic width' that is doing this, the ability to print wider in areas to take less motion and repeat travel, but I don't know how to confirm or revoke this idea.

Chep Cube C01y.jpg40451653_ChepCubeP01y.thumb.jpg.d815d92f5249c81bd5d01906561ceb5a.jpg

Top - Cura 5   Bottom - PrusaSlicer (fresh install)

Edited by Kissker

I decided to try an older version of Cura,  version 4.4.1, and changed only these factors (initial layer height 0.24, wall line count 2, zig zag top/bottom, seam back left/hide seam, infill density 15%, grid, 45degree,  print temp 195, initial temp 210, bed temp 50, initial temp 60, Flow 96%,  print speed 50, wall speed 40, travel speed 100, acceleration reducede to 400mm/s^2 (travel accel still 500) enable jerk control Ticked, left at 8mm/s) to match the other slicer settings. 

The results.. are quite outstanding.

20220522_201631.jpg

///Edit////

After (what feels like) hours of manually going into each Slicer, typing out setting names and values, and comparing them (even to the best of my knowledge with the Unknown Prusa Slicer) Cura4 and Cura5 were near the same.  I have now changed values, in both when available, to match up 100% to one another.  Obviously Cura5 has some features that Cura 4.4.1 does not have, but I did leave them on. (monotonic print order, and the new Engine Extrusion system) - I just left any settings with them, to default. (not knowing what they do, I decided not to mess with them yet)

I will get photos of the new cubes as soon as possible, for comparison.

Edited by Kissker
    New information, plan of action.

Ok update time. It is a similar story - the "worse looking" print, goes to Cura 5.0.0, despite the Cura 4.4.1 print having settings changed to be the same when Possible.  Obviously things that didn't exist in  4, can't be changed to be the same in 5.  Both Cura's were installed fresh without importing or having any previous files - I had formatted C:\ and forgotten to back them up beforehand. 2043402604_ChepCubeC502y.thumb.jpg.9b7536a70148e186f8ed5afa2c4f06e3.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.c180dfa514dce5ea2c4c48b14a2cdbbf.jpeg

Top - Cura 5.0.0   Bottom - Cura 4.4.1    

Cura 5.0.0 cube was printed first, then, after cooldown and removal, cura 4.4.1 cube was sent to the machine and printed.

Edited by Kissker

Posted · I upgraded to Cura 5 - and have had nothing but issues.

Ok so. I have come to the conclusion this was "user error" or possibly "Hardware failure" on my Computer's end.

After wiping both cura's again, downloading fresh versions, and installing on another SSD (instead of the one that Cura5 was originally on) - I went in and changed only a few settings, on both cura 5 and cura 4.13.1 (a newer version I figured I'd try) and only printed the Cura5 Chep Cube test when the results were fantastically different.436128684_ChepCura503y.thumb.jpg.07e1b87fae91de8da268c97c7e07c757.jpg

This is the new results, without really fine tuning Cura settings beyond just a few things like Print temps and the like. Comparing it to the previous Cura5 prints, it is astonishingly better.

With that in mind, this is 'solved' - although let it be archived in case someone else has similar issues.

Posted · I upgraded to Cura 5 - and have had nothing but issues.

Hi Kissker,

Thank you for submitting this community post, and the support ticket.

If others are looking to have the same issue:

Resolved
    Ultimaker Cura had been updated from Cura 4.4.1 all the way up to 5.0. A fresh install of Ultimaker Cura 5.0 did the trick; the print result instantly improved.

The root cause has not been identified, it might have been a printer or material profile, or anything that was not correctly upgraded by Cura when going to version 5.0