Cura's adding material that shouldn't exist

Posted · Cura's adding material that shouldn't exist

Hello, new here and have finally had it with this print. At layer 6 and 8 are where the problems are. Layer 8 generates 2 triangles a square and a rectangle out of the blue. I've tried re editing the file and this and that but it still adds those shapes. 

Second issue is with infill. I can't get any infill to show up in the hinges or in the lid with the latch piece. Last time I made something similar, infill worked and random shapes didn't pop up. Any help would be appreciated ty!

Using sketchup and cura 5.0

File and pic attatched.

cura.jpg

Box V2.stl Box V2.1.obj

Posted (edited) · Cura's adding material that shouldn't exist

Matter of fact, I cannot get any infill to show up on any of my models now. That spiralize setting is off btw.

Update.

Got infill back when I went back to cura 4.13.0 although I'm still getting those shapes.

CE3PRO_Box V2.1.3mf

cura.jpg

Edited by tokin247

This is from MS 3D Builder and it is the "U" shaped hole in the middle wall.  You can see that something isn't right.  SketchUp is notorious for things like this.  You need to take a close look at your model to make sure the surfaces aren't flipped inside-out, and other errors.

image.thumb.png.7f5f9f66100f6ca62012c66d32bbf1c1.png

After repairing the file at an on-line service I get this...it's still wrong, but at least it's different.

image.thumb.png.35d26abe7ec197e37ae06983f3222b04.png

This needs to be fixed in SketchUp.

The good news is that the Infill is there.  Are you sure you have "Infill" turned on in the linetype settings?  You can see it in the above image (but I use the sidebar GUI so my screen might be different).

You are 100% right on this one. It was a problem in sketchup. Between the bottom layer and the bottom layer of the "compartments" was set to a gap of 1.5mm. I increased the gap to 1.55mm, exported again and bam it works, no more weird shapes. Also tried going shorter to 1mm and it worked normally again. I can't understand for the life of me why it's upset with 1.5 but hey.

As for my problem with no infill. I've narrowed that down to version 5.0 of cura. Like I said I went back to version 4.13.0 and then infill works.

What version of cura do you use? Also thank you for your help, I appreciate it!

I added the fixed version if anyone wants.

CE3PRO_Box V2.1.obj

Posted (edited) · Cura's adding material that shouldn't exist

I moved to 5.0.  I wasn't much of a fan of the Arachne beta's but the full implementation of the variable line width in 5.0 is much better.  The dialog boxes and controls are funky though.  If it's because of simple unfamiliarity of the developers with QT6 then that problem will go away.  It may be that QT6 just isn't complete enough (or something) to allow controls as most people are used to.

If you open one of those "no infill" gcode files in a text editor like Notepad and search for TYPE:FILL does it find the sections of the infill code or is it missing from the gcode file as well.

This is your new model is MS 3D Builder.  That "U" shaped hole still has issues.  There are extra "infinitely thin" surfaces that intrude across the hole.  Because the triangles that make up those error surfaces extend to the floor I still get the extra material on the floor as well.  

image.thumb.png.b802ccb82432b313b775b47b089fc37c.png

The 3mf file below has a model that I cleaned up (Me_box) in MS 3D Builder, and your model.  Look at the differences in the Prepare screen both in regular view and in X-Ray view and then slice and inspect the preview.

GV_repair_BoxV2.1.3mf

Edited by GregValiant