Print suddenly retracts filament way too much and fast mid print.

Christian_Kirk

Posted · Print suddenly retracts filament way too much and fast mid print.

Hey there. My first time on this forum so hope someone can help me 😄

My problem is that sometimes my print suddenly stops and retracts the filament way too much and way too fast. It tries to move the filament to the nozzle afterwards, but the filament isn't touching the extruder anymore... Then the print continues...

I used to use Cura 4.13.0, and it used to help by restarting Cura... But then I used Cura 5.0 and 2 out of 2 prints had that problem...

I've tried Google for solutions, but I just can't find any similar issues...

Hope someone can help me here 😄 

Printer: Ender 5 (Not stock firmware)

Octoprint: Yes

Cura profile: Standard 

Best regards, Christian

• 6 months later...
    Posted · Print suddenly retracts filament way too much and fast mid print.

Ender5!  I've seen this with Ultimaker 2 printers sometimes.  It's the same reason.  I've explained the problem in careful detail but the quick summary is that it is flipping bits.  So is this an SD card or a USB cable print?  The problem is that the printer is occasionally reading one bad bit in the gcode and it does large movements and what you describe is exactly the most common symptom (there are other symptoms).

So if you have an SD card reader then take that apart and clean it very well.  Also clean the SD card and maybe try a different card.

If instead you print through USB cable then try a different cable or more importatnly try a different computer or different port on that computer.

Another potential fix is that many printers have ribbon cables that connect USB and/or SD card to the main computer.  Try re-routing those (even moving just a few mm might help) to avoid "signal cross talk".