I am extremely new to 3D printing

greyhaven

Posted · I am extremely new to 3D printing

I have not yet bought a 3D printer yet as I am still pricing and watching reviewed printers and have my sights set on the Anycubic Vyper as my first printer. That said, I would LOVE any guidance on using this printer when I get it. Watching reviews, it seems complex, what with XYZ numbers and setting up filament and percentage and all that. It just seems so daunting to me. I also want to learn to create my own designs but I am not an artist at all. I just don't know where to start, or if there is a CAD/3D design for dummies site out there LOL I am dumber than a dummy when it comes to designing anything.

Maybe something that will be helpful, but I have used a 3D pen before and really enjoyed making things using that, but not I have my sights set higher and I really want to buy a printer to perhaps make things for the school I work for, and for the students.

Anyways, any help for a person who loves tech and gadgets and wants to excel at 3D printing, would be greatly appreciated. 

If you are going to get a super cheap printer, get a Creality Ender 3 pro.  Creality is relatively mature (super mature for the 3d printing world) and relatively good quality when you go this cheap.  Also there are probably 100,000 of them out there so there are plenty of people to help you.  I do not have a Creality (I only have Ultimaker printers) but I hear a lot from friends who have them and people on these forums.

• Like 1

Regarding CAD software - I strongly strongly advise you go with this chart (click twice to make bigger).  It sounds like, as an artist, you want "organic shapes" which is extremely different kind of software than if you want to make mechanical parts (like gears, brackets, boxes).

cad_suggestion_flowchart_guide.thumb.png.b9d5b6f743ba63282ee2d329f3430252.png

Okay looking at the chart if you want organic shapes and insist on using a Mac, maybe the above chart is overly limited.  I have to tell you that Blender is amazing but the learning curve is the worst software out there.  It has too many features.  It can make a feature animated film.  It just has too many features.  It is just amazing.  The learning curve is insane.  There are great videos on the internet but still...

This might be more useful to finding the right CAD software for "organic shapes on a mac":

https://www.sculpteo.com/en/3d-learning-hub/3d-printing-software/best-3d-modeling-software-mac/

I have to say, I am definitely not an artist. I couldn't even draw a stick man correctly. LOL :) But, I am willing to try, especially if it's on a computer. I definitely would LOVE to design things and perhaps sell them in a market setting. 

Oh!!  "not an artist".  Obviously I am a bad listener (so to speak).

If you expect you will teach any students CAD then perhaps you should start with tinkercad.  You can do almost anything (not great for sculping though) and it's probably the easiest cad software out there.  Watch a few youtube videos to quickly learn how powerful it can be. I love the one where they guy made a lobster but watch practical part designing as well.

I have a Vyper, its a good printer, not had any issues with it, i would be happy to help walk you through set up and first prints, im also new, but have been running my printer for a few months and have done a few long prints

• Like 1