Setting Z layer height for first 5 layers

damiank388

Posted · Setting Z layer height for first 5 layers

Hi, 

Is there a way to set different layer height for first (x) layers of a print?

For example to print first 5  at 0.2 and the rest at 0.28 ? 

I know about adaptive layers. But looking at the print, layers with different z height have slightly different look to them. print looks like it has 'stripes'. 

Any idea how to set this up ? 

Thanks

No.  The layer height is a fixed thing.

It isn't bad to do manually.  Slice once at .2 layer height, save the file, slice again at .28 layer height, save the file, and then cut and paste the gcode files together.  Using Pause at Height in both files makes it much easier as the transition gcode is mostly written for you.  Get the transition layers correct and make a couple of adjustments for a smooth changeover.

One thing to watch out for is if the base file has a retraction at the end of it's last layer and the top file did not have a retraction there (or vice versa).  The transition might also require a Z location change using G92.

I do this a lot.  Printing right now is a model with male threads on top.  The body is printing at .2 layer height and the threads are at .1 layer height.  The X Y location must be at the start of the first extrusion of the top file.

That's it.  Sync the XYZ and E taking care to note where the end of the filament is in relation to the nozzle so you don't leave a blob at the beginning of the top file.  Like a lot of things in 3D printing, it just requires practice.

Posted (edited) · Setting Z layer height for first 5 layers

What is the likelihood of Ultimaker adding this to postprocessing ?

Is there any point in requesting ? and a dedicated place to do so?

or just giving an option to 'END' adaptive layer at layer height would be useful... 

Edited by damiank388

As I said it's something I do a lot and so I wrote my own post-processor.  It isn't perfect and the code still needs to be checked, but it's pretty good and creates a single file from two (or more) separate files.

This one is .2 on the right, .1 in the middle and .3 on the left

.DSCN2954.thumb.JPG.e9588ff44da22deb97708672b7f2eeef.JPG

I don't know if this could be done as a post-processor in Cura or not.  Cura only does one slice at a time and this requires gcode from multiple slices.  I do it by manipulating the gcode files and creating a new file out of two.  The model above was a test.  I sliced the model 3 times, combined 1 and 2 into C1 and then combined C1 with 3 to make the final file used for that print.  (As an aside, the post-processor was perfect on that attempt and I didn't need to do any manual adjustments).

@ahoeben and @Cuq write post-processors and are both a lot better versed in things Cura than I am.  Maybe they will chime in.