Adjusting bed to nozzle

Posted · Adjusting bed to nozzle

Hi all, new guy on the block. Can't seen to work out how to adjust the bed hight to nozzle distance on the 3D printer we just bought. Never done this before and I can't seem to find on the interface for the Vega300 interface dashboard on how to adjust this. when I print, the nozzle is so high (about 1.5mm off the bed), that the filament is airborn and not touching the bed as the nozzle darts around the board. Is it to do with the Printer itself, or is the setting feature in the progam? Just a bit stumped here.

Any assistance is always appreciated

Regards

Paul

Posted · Adjusting bed to nozzle

Never heard of that printer.  I googled for it and was hard pressed to find anything.

Look for documention on "setup" or "leveling" or "setting Z home position".  Somewhere in the controlling screen for the printer there is a way to set z=0 to be when the nozzle just barely touches the print bed.

Some printers have a leveling sensor built into the print head.  Sometimes you use a thin sheet of paper (typically 0.1mm thick) and use that to tell the printer that the nozzle is 0.1mm off the bed.  Sometimes there is a limit switch that you physically have to move up or down to set the z=0 point (the point where the nozzle just touches the print bed).

Part of this procedure you also want to level the bed (not level to the earth but level to the printing gantry) by touching the nozzle to the bed in (typically) 3 points.

All of this is part of the printer firmware and unrelated to Cura.

By the way you wan to level it a bit low such that when you go to Z=0 the nozzle is pushing a little bit into the bed.  That way you get good squish on the first layer.  I typically level about 0.1mm low such that when z=0.1 on the printer, the nozzle has just barely touched the print bed.