Joining the details of the circle with the inscription

Daniila

Posted · Joining the details of the circle with the inscription

hello. I have a model of a circle that has an inscription on it. The circle is large, so I divided it into 4 parts. I need to print it so that when I glued it there were no joints.

hhk.png

Posted · Joining the details of the circle with the inscription

If you are going to assemble it with glue joints then there will be seams.  There is no way around that.  How "noticeable" they are is the question.  It is often a question of how precise your particular printer is.

• If the edges of the pie pieces are left square and the pieces are "butt welded" the joints will be weak and hard to align.
    • If the part is thin then "lap joints" might be an option.  Lap joints require an overhang on one part and the overhang needs to be supported during printing.
    • If it is thick, then using locating pins (2mm diameter holes with filament pieces glued in) would be a second option.  This is my go-to method as the location of the pieces is precise.  I have a 1.8mm drill that I  use to ream the holes prior to dropping in the filament pieces.
    • As far as the seams at the text go - they would be no worse than anywhere else.  If you wanted to get fancy you could make the cut lines go around the letter(s) that are on the main seam.
    • Another option would be to print the text separately and glue it to the base.  Again, if the text is wide enough you could use 2mm holes and filament to locate them precisely.  Without positive location the assembly can look sloppy.
    • The most noticeable point would be where the 4 pieces come together in the center.  If you were to split the model into additional pieces so the seams were not through the text it might come out better.  I assume you will do this in at least two colors and this method (6 or 7 pieces) might be the best choice.

• Like 1