Cura 5.x Supports

GlennJay

Posted · Cura 5.x Supports

I was trying out the newer versions of cura and found a missing setting. In cura 4.13.1 there is a setting for support Z Distance -> Support bottom distance.

However in the newer versions of Cura this setting is no longer there. The other setting for Support Top Distance is still there under support Z Distance.

Was this removed intentionally? if so, is there a setting that replaces it to allow fine tuning of the support bottom distance.

I would love to use the newer version but having this functionality keeps me using Cura 4.13.

Thank you for any assistance. 

The picture I attached above was from 5.1 beta and I did check it for 5.0 as well.

Oh, I forgot to mention settings visibility.  I just took a look on Manage Settings Visibility and recognize in my installation at least one setting was unchecked.

If this isn't the case someone from UM needs to jump in because now I'm out of ideas 🙂

UMSetVis.PNG

The "Support Bottom Distance" setting only makes sense if the "Support Placement" setting is set to "Everywhere"; it will not show up when that setting is set to "Touching Buildplate", because then there will not be any support bottoms touching the model.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 2

Still a lot to find out and learn again with the new 5.x versions of Cura. Thank you @ahoeben

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · Cura 5.x Supports
    35 minutes ago, DivingDuck said:

Still a lot to find out and learn again with the new 5.x versions of Cura.

This particular thing has been the same for the past 6 years though 😉

PS: I'll admit that I had to look up why the setting would not be showing in the fdmprinter.def.json file.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 2

Thank you both!! I set the placement as everywhere and the setting is visible now, thank you so much!!!

• Like 1

Thank you one and all - so easy to get zoned in on the details and miss the obvious!