Heater issue Ultimaker 2

francis-dufort

Posted · Heater issue Ultimaker 2

Yesterday I replaced the heater on my U2 as it had burned out. I got 3 good prints. Then the heater stopped working and the fourth print failed. I did a continuity test and the heater is fine. I reset everything and did set up from scratch. When it came to inserting the filament the heater heated up fine. However when it came to printing the job the heater cooled dowm and printing could not commence. I cannot heat up heater through the maintenance settings either.

Any ideas?? I am getting desperate. I have a job to complete this weekend.

Also do people consider these RP machines to be PROFESSIONAL?

We are a design agency and have found the U2 to be invaluable however it goes wrong for one reason or another.

Francis Dufort

I love my UM2 but definitely would not put it in the category of 'professional' machines. In my experience a professional machine just works, all the time, all of them have a second extruder for a support material, the software changes very infrequently... The results are reliable, but you pay for it. There are some things my UM2 can do that most pro machines can't, but they're just not the same thing.

Please provide more details. When you tell the heater to heat up, does it show current temp as for example 21C? Or 0C? Or is current temp > goal temperature?

Hi there. Guess what. One of my staff checked the temperature and it was on zero art the beginning of the build. We set to 220 and hey presto it works fine! Its weird that after 3 prints of the same item the fourth failed because the temperature dropped. We printed 10 parts now and 4 more on the machine! I have gone from despair to joy :)

I do think at the price it should work. I think I have the solution.. Buy another and have more chance of keeping going. It is brilliant when it works.

We use PLA dissolved in MEK as the the glue on the glass bed and that works a treat to stop warping and lifting at the edges. We are also getting good at removing support structure..

How do I add a photo..?

Francis

I love my UM2 but definitely would not put it in the category of 'professional' machines. In my experience a professional machine just works, all the time, all of them have a second extruder for a support material, the software changes very infrequently... The results are reliable, but you pay for it. There are some things my UM2 can do that most pro machines can't, but they're just not the same thing.

Its cost Euros 2000 so I think that should class as semi-professional. If it were an inkjet printer then WOW it would be the best.

Looking forward to the second extruder head...

For some weird reason dropped to Zero after 3 of 4 prints. We discovered this and its working well again :)