Do not have permission to save definition file after change

jjacello

Posted · Do not have permission to save definition file after change

I need to increase the allowed area of the Ender 3v2 after a firmware update.  Even though the profile shows 230mm x 230mm allowed, the keep out area does not allow 200mm.  I can change the keepout area in the .def file, but don't have permission to save it.  What needs to happen for me to do this?

Thanks

Posted · Do not have permission to save definition file after change

By default, Windows will not let you change files in the Program Files folder. Your editor need to have "elevated privileges". The easiest workaround is to save the file to your desktop, and then use Explorer to move the file in its intended place.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Do not have permission to save definition file after change

Another workaround is to "Share" the folder with yourself.  (This is for Windows 10.)

Right click on the main Cura folder in Windows Explorer.

Select "Give Access To" and then "Specific People".

Another dialog will come up.  You don't have to select any names, just select "Share" in the bottom right corner.  It usually takes a few seconds to run but you will have access to make adjustments to the files in the Cura folder.

I keep a folder with Cura files I've customized for my own use.  When installing a new version of Cura I de-select the "Run Cura" option, change the sharing, then copy my files into the new Cura install.  If you don't copy your files in first then you might get the dreaded "Cura has to remove all your printers" warning.

Edited by GregValiant