Bridge problem during slicing on Cura 5.1

Erol

Posted · Bridge problem during slicing on Cura 5.1

Hello, everyone

I have this issue with bridging on a part I designed.  As you can see from the screenshot the bridge is this groove that goes around. The problem here I think is obvious instead of Cura creating a sloped lines it makes this long extrusion that will definitely won't be a good bridge. That long extrusion doesn't change if I rotate the part. Here the question is: Am I doing something wrong in Cura? Is my design not optimized in some way?

Thank you all for your responses and time.
Have a good day.

Screenshot 2022-07-22 161228.png

I think it's a bug but an easy workaround (hopefully) is to make the grove one or two layers lower on the short sides.

Well the groove have to be at the same level on all sides. There will be an O ring in this groove. It's not really an option to do what you suggest. Thanks anyway.

There is an alternate version of Cura that does better on bridging.  I don't know what it will do for this though - probably no improvement.  Please post your STL file and I'll see if the bridging is any better.

Oh!  Alternatively you can disable bridging I think.  In that case it will do all diagonal bridging which isn't ideal but is an improvement.  I think.  I'm not sure how to disable bridging.  Post your STL and I'll experiment.

This is the file. Yes I disabled bridging and the lines on the first layer became diagonal. I still haven't tried that print yet since the printers now work on something else.

Thanks for the tip.

cradle.stl

I'm glad that worked.  I didn't have much luck.  I got it to rotate the bridging by 90 degrees but I think diagonal is better.

11824561_Screenshotfrom2022-07-2514-30-30.thumb.png.01db83ba028bcde346ba67c71bb598d8.png

How did you do that?

There this guy - his nicknames are "burtoogle" and "smart avionics".  He is a damn good programmer.  He doesn't work for Ultimaker but has contributed some of the Cura features.  Some really nice features including lots (all?) of the advanced bridging features.  I've met him in real life.  We hung out for a few days in The Netherlands (I'm from USA, he's from England).

He has his own version of Cura on github.  Whenever Ultimaker comes out with a new version of Cura, he merges those changes into his own version.  His versions have a "MB".  These versions of Cura tend to give me much better prints and do a better job of certain key things.

I used one of his versions.  I used some default profile for S5 - not sure which one.  But the key I think is that I used one of his versions.  You can try it.  If it doesn't do what mine did then I can send you my exact project file which will have your STL built in, the rotation I placed it in (it could be you just need to rotate it on the bed?), the profile I used, everything.  And for an S5.  Let me know if you need that.  But first just the version of Cura I used:  Cura-mb-master-x86_64-20220129-2

You can get it from here: https://github.com/smartavionics/Cura/releases/tag/20220129

For newer versions remove the /tag/...  portion so the URL ends with "releases".

Here's the project file.  You can try this in your version of Cura and maybe it will rotate the infill.  I don't know.  It might be just that I rotated your part 90 degrees.  I did hit the wrong rotate button by accident at one point.  Anyway the part rotation/orientation will be included in this project file.

cradle.3mf

2 minutes ago, gr5 said:

It might be just that I rotated your part 90 degrees

No it's not that.  I think it's probably the MB version of the slicer (smart avionics).

• Like 1